S/O of Christians and war from earlier - No question, just sharing on this day

Earlier today there was a comment made in another thread (by the OP) that true Christians didn't fight in wars. This was on my FB feed tonight from a dear friend who is a doctor, speaking about his grandfather. I thought it was such a lovely tribute and wanted to share:

In April 1945 my Mom's father went ashore with a bunch of Marines in the 5th Division, 28th Battalion on a little piece of volcano rock called Iwo Jima. He did not wield a gun, but needles, sutures & a scalpel; he was a Navy medical Doctor attached to the division. Penicillin wasn't available even then.

5 weeks, 26000 casualties and 6000 American deaths later the battle for this rock ended. He did MASH surgery in the battlefield before such things were formalized in the next war. He had a coffee cup shot out of his hand, and two people next to him on the black beach sands were shot & killed by snipers. He saw a flag raised atop Mt. Suribachi from the base of the mountain--the highest point of the island. No telling how many marines, almost young enough to be sons, died in his medical tent. Or how many he saved. And in the end, he came home. So many did not.

But heroes can be both above and below ground. He wouldn't tell me about Iwo, what I know is second hand. (see "Flags of Our Father".) I am a doctor, like he, trying to prevent and save as many people as possible for the greater good of our nation. Even now I have so many questions, mainly of my family tree and what is is to be a doctor, and when in the worst of times. His father was a pacificist and a pastor, and supported his son to be a doctor in a war theatre. Amen.

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 7:43 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Holidays

• That's an awesome tribute, thank you for sharing.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2013

• That's beautiful, thank you. And whoever said realChristians don't fight in wars is clueless.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:06 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Amen! Thank you...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:04 PM on May. 27, 2013