What are some foods that increase milk production that have worked for you or someone you know?

For my friend who is in her third week of excl. breastfeeding. :)

Oatmeal is one I know of.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:32 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure the oatmeal is the real stuff, not the instant. Either quick or old fashioned. She can make a large batch and just heat it up as she needs it; that way she isn't always cooking oatmeal if she wants/needs some.

And make sure she is drinking at least 8 oz each time baby nurses during the day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:34 PM on May. 27, 2013

• you should try this website
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/increasing-your-milk-supply
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:56 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Yes. Oatmeal and lots of water. Also garlic, spinach, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans.

Can I ask why she thinks she needs help with supply? Over supply is NOT fun.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:26 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Anise is a spice
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Look for a supplement called More Milk Plus on www.motherlove.com. It contains fenugreek, goat's rue, and some other plant extracts I can't recall.
    I had supply troubles, and I tied everything anyone recommended to me. I'm not sure what worked and what didn't, but I ate acres of carrots because I was told they would help. I ate oatmeal almost every morning for a year. I'd cook up a big batch of oatmeal and barley and keep it in the fridge so I could just heat up what I wanted. I was also told to have a Stout beer and salt peanuts right after nursing, so that by the time I nursed again, the alcohol wasn't an issue. I only tried that once or twice. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on May. 27, 2013

• Both sound completely normal. I would urge her to see a lactation specialist or even better call the LLL with questions. Not a pediatrician. If baby is not losing weight and having wet and dirty diapers she is fine. Constant suckling is what REALLY builds supply, not diet. So let that baby nurse!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:10 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Stacie, baby is slow at gaining weight and constantly feeding. Also, she is trying for a back supply without much luck.

Thank you, girls. Will pass this on to her. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:06 AM on May. 28, 2013