More of a vent than a question- Eminent Domain

So, I was really looking forward to taking my son to Rainbow Ranch Trout Farm this summer. He wants to get into fishing and I thought this would be the perfect place to do it. They lend you the fishing poles, teach you how to fish and once you caught a fish they can prepare it for you. Tonight I went to their website and found out that they are permanently closed due to Eminent Domain. Sigh. Now I need to find a new place that offers similar services. 

Do you know of any businesses that have closed due to eminent domain?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:13 PM on May. 27, 2013 in Money & Work

• That totally sucks! I can't believe they had to close. I don't know of any that have closed for that reason.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:31 PM on May. 27, 2013

• That sucks rocks. I don't know about businesses closing, but I have two friends who had to give up their land and the homes they planned to retire in when Denver International Airport was built. They got screwed in that deal, too, because the government didn't pay them enough to resettle in comparable homes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:40 PM on May. 27, 2013

• No, but I know of an entire neighborhood in San Jose that was taken over due to eminent domain quite a few years ago. All the homes there torn down to make room for a freeway.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 AM on May. 28, 2013

• No businesses but there were houses in my neighborhood that were either moved or torn down due to eminent domain. They owners were compensated fairly and since the road had been in the planning for 30 years they knew it was a possibility.

Answer by missanc at 5:55 AM on May. 28, 2013

• No businesses but many years ago a whole city block was taken over due to eminent domain, the houses torn down and now it is a grassy area. (actually the whole area looks much better now as a grassland than it did with the houses most of which needed a lot of work)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2013