Am I the Only One...

...that can't even bring myself to kill a poisonous snake?

The other day, my husband and I were in the barn and he lifted up something and found a copperhead under it. He told me to keep it from getting away so he could get his ax and I'm like "Don't kill it! Don't kill it!" I was fighting for the life of this poisonous snake that tried to bite my husband and was only a few feet from my daughter's play pen and our horses and other pets that live in the barn. Even though I knew that my husband had to kill it, I was holding out hope that we could just catch it and take it somewhere.

I tried to keep it busy but I was afraid to go near it. Luckily, our St. Bernard grabbed it, shook it, and killed it. My husband decapitated it for good measure. I picked up my daughter and held her close to check her over while my husband checked to make sure the dog had not been bitten and I wanted to cry, partly because I was scared and partly because I felt badly for the poor animal. I mean, he probably wandered into our barn looking for shelter or something and he was only trying to bite us because he was scared.

I know its stupid. I should hesitate to protect my husband, child, pets, or myself but I still felt badly for the poor creature. I can't stand to watch any animal be killed. We have found king snakes before (totally harmless) and he catches them and takes them out to the woods, because I won't let him kill them. My husband makes fun of me because I can hardly bring myself to squish bugs. I guess I'm just too tenderhearted.

Cowgirl_Coyote

Asked by Cowgirl_Coyote at 7:17 AM on May. 28, 2013 in Pets

• Um....no. I have no problem killing any animal if it's a threat to me or my family. I can't, and wouldn't, kill an animal that isn't doing anything other than existing, but if it's a threat, it's dead. Especially snakes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:23 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Yeah, I have no problem killing something that is threatening my family.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:57 AM on May. 28, 2013

• ^^ What they said.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I don't know ... I have issues killing things that aren't bothering me unless it's a stink bug and that fucker is dead but I digress ... I was walking Miss P in our backyard was a beautiful black snake (racer I think). We made a wide berth around it and left it alone.

Unfortunately, we have a creek behind the house and I do worry about water moccasins and those might die b/c we have small animals in the neighborhood and I don't want anything to happen to them especially the little teacup chi that his idiotic owners let run around without a leash. Don't even get me started on that one ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:14 AM on May. 28, 2013

• well...I'm more likely to kill them than my dh. I handle the snakes, he handles the spiders lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:34 AM on May. 28, 2013

• If it's a threat to my family. It will die.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:43 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I would want the snake dead, but I would still feel bad because it had to be killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and just for being what it was. Still, I wouldn't want it threatening my family or my pets.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:08 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Dead snake!
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2013