Doesn't want to go

My 10 year old DD doesn't want to go to church with us anymore. I told her when she is about 12 or 13 and old enough to stay home by herself then she will have a choice to stay home. Is that fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 28, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that forcing church on a child is going to do the opposite of what you're trying to do, by having her go.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:36 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I was made to go as church was also family time. When I was 18, I stopped going. Until then, I had to join in family activities.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:37 AM on May. 28, 2013

• What butterfly said could be true... seeing as I'm now an Atheist. lol
    ABeaverhausen

• I hated going to church as a kid but I had to go. On the other hand, a 10 year old isn't old enough to stay home alone, so unless you have someone to watch her I guess you have no choice but to take her until she is old enough to stay home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:53 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I agree, you shouldnt force your child top go to church
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:57 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I have nobody else to watch her and she cannot stay by herself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Have you asked her Why she doesn't want to go? Is it because she has too get up early to go to a youth program? I used to go with a friend when I was a kid (I liked it) but we would wake up at 6 to get there by 8 to go to early service, yet still stay until the 10-12 services so we were there from 8-12. Maybe if you are going for a length of time like that try cutting it shorter and going from 10-12 rather than 8-12?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:10 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Did she say why?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:29 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Well it really isn't up to her until she is old enough to stay home alone. I would just explain that in life people have to do things they don't want all the time. That when she is old enough to stay home by herself then she can, until then she has to just suck it up and go to church. Tell her that you understand her feelings, but she is not old enough to stay home alone yet.

Do NOT try to force her to change her mind. You need to validate her feelings and let her know that how she feels is important too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:32 AM on May. 28, 2013

• virginia-She just doesn't want to go she things its boring.

Sleeping-If she doesn't want to go once she is old enough to stay home alone that would be fine I would be supportive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2013