Children's birthday parties

My son's birthday is coming up my parents and I both paid for it. I did not invite my sons dad because we do not get along at all. He calls me white trash and other names because I won't let him get away with everything. So he is mad that I am not inviting him to our sons bday party. We don't get along and he didn't offer to help pay for the party. If we got along and if he pitched in that would be one thing. Am I being unreasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. If he want's to do something special with your son on his own time then that might be a better solution for him. The last thing you need is to invite drama to a kid's party. I know moms and dads that don't get along with each other and they just do something separately with the kids on their own time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 AM on May. 28, 2013

• What did your son say about his dad being there or not?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:44 AM on May. 28, 2013

• His dad can do his own thing for the kid's birthday. No reason for him to be there if you guys don't get along and it will just cause issues.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:48 AM on May. 28, 2013

• I understand the why behind your decision but how is this going to affect your son?

Answer by older at 9:48 AM on May. 28, 2013

• My sons father is verbally abusive calls me white trash, and other obscene names my whole family sees it. I refuse to be around him and if he goes my whole family won't go. I explained to my son that me and his dad don't get along. I did offer DS dad time on his bday though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 AM on May. 28, 2013

• No, if he has visitation, there is no reason that your son's dad can't give him his own birthday party.

My ex and I always had separate celebrations for my oldest son. I don't think my son expected us to celebrate together, and I wouldn't have wanted his birthday ruined by the problems between his father and I. My ex would give him a party with his parents and family members in attendance as well as friends my son had made over there, and I gave one with ours.

We never made a big deal over it, and to my son it was normal....plus, he got two celebrations.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:00 AM on May. 28, 2013

This seems fair to me.....

Answer by older at 10:03 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Yes I mean my DS understands his dad and I aren't together. I don't want to ruin my sons bday because his dad and I don't get along.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2013

• no. if he sees his son, he can have a separate party for him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:31 AM on May. 28, 2013

• If we could get along then we would absolutely have a party together.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 AM on May. 28, 2013