How do you or did you night train for the potty with your son?

My son has made great strides in the last couple of weeks, HE wears underwear to preschool and he goes often to the potty. He hasn't quite got the poopy thing down yet. I have him wear a pull up to bed, but he really wants to wear underwear. I've told him if you need to use the potty in the middle of night, just get up and go, he did it one night, but my question is how do you get started on the night training? How do you know there ready? just curious?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 11:01 AM on May. 28, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We just recently took the night pull up off about 2 months ago and he's 4, will be 5 in August. We probably could have taken it off sooner, I just hesitated because he's such a sound sleeper that I was afraid we'd have issues but *knock on wood* no accidents so far. I know he doesn't get up and go though but he goes at least twice before bed (those "I have to go potty" tactics of his to delay bedtime actually work to my advantage lol) and I limit liquid intake during the few hours before bedtime.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:05 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I never really did any "training" per se. When he started waking up dry more often then he woke up wet, we moved to underpants. If he had an accident in the night, I just changed the bed and acted like it was no big deal. From what I understand, the ability to wake up to pee in the middle of the night is more a maturity thing than a trainable act. In other words, its just something they grow into.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:27 AM on May. 28, 2013

• BUMP! My son is almost 4 and still wets sometimes at night. I will follow this for answers!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:09 AM on May. 28, 2013

• When he wakes up dry more often than not. Get a mattress pad to put on the bed in case of any accidents and let him try wearing underwear.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:09 AM on May. 28, 2013

• Get a mattress pad/protector for the bed in case he pees and just put him in underwear. It isn't something that you can really train. If he is able he will get up and go. My son was just able to either hold it or get up at night and go, I was lucky.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:36 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Mine trained on his own and he's 3. He maybe has 1-2 accidents a week.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:25 PM on May. 28, 2013

• We waited until the kids were dry for at least a couple of weeks straight before we took off the overnight pants. It can vary all over the place when a child's bladder is mature enough to make it throught the night. Some kids in our family have been 10-12 before being dry at night.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 1:34 PM on May. 28, 2013

• My son night trained on his own when we were potty training. He just stopped peering in his diaper, in the morning he would get up, take off the dry diaper and go pee

Answer by missanc at 2:58 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Wait until his pullup is dry for 2 weeks. Then switch to underwear. There is nothing you can do to force it. It can take years.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:47 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Thanks Ladies! Your advice is very much apreciated. I'm hoping to have great success with my son in his training.
    Sillylins

Comment by Sillylins (original poster) at 10:12 AM on May. 29, 2013