How warm do you prefer it to be outside before you to open your home windows?

I will open them around 65-70 degrees. It gets so stuffy in here so sometimes even a cool 60 degrees feels nice rolling through.

My mother in law gets on me about this. She thinks you need your hair completely dry before going outside in the summertime too. I'm talking 80+ degrees out. I argued with her asking how it's any different walking outside with damp hair than it is swimming in cold pool water outside. She claims this is how we get sick.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 12:49 PM on May. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• yeah about 65-70 degrees. At night I'll open the bedroom windows a bit at 50, even lower sometimes. Need to let the stale air and germs out!!
    Tell MIL she's a fool.... wet hair doesn't make you sick... GERMS make you sick!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:41 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I'll open mine when it's around 65 or 70... I did turn the air on last night because it got up to high 80's and it was too hot to sleep. I love to have my windows open and feel the breeze and hear the birds.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I open mine in the middle of winter, I hate stale air. Ick.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:52 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Does she live with you?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:52 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Nope
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 12:52 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Old wives tales, just ignore her. I don't open my windows because mosquitoes are horrible around here and no matter how good my screens are some manage to get in anyway.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:54 PM on May. 28, 2013

• She may be set in her ways of thinking but there is no need to get into an argument over this. You know whats best for your home/health and she knows whats best for her home/health.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:55 PM on May. 28, 2013

• We open our windows and doors in the spring and fall, when the temps are between about 70-78ish. During the summer, we have to use the a/c, it's too hot and humid to open windows.

I'd just ignore your MIL. It's your house, do what you want. If she doesn't like it, she's free to go home.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:08 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I don't like hot weather and I loathe being hot, so I usually turn the air conditioner on if the weather hits slightly above 70 (I keep my house like an icebox). I open my windows if the weather is in the high 50's to very low 70's, after that I use the air conditioner.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:28 PM on May. 28, 2013

• 60 something. To me that's warm. Anything over 75 and I'm dying.

CarpeDiemV

Answer by CarpeDiemV at 1:43 PM on May. 28, 2013