Presidential scandals (a History based question)

every president has some dark spots in his presidency, some far worse than others. some are cornerstones of US history classes (XYZ Affair, Adams) while others are rarely even mentioned in school (Warren G. Harding's Ohio Gang).

one thing i've noticed, is that if a president is well-liked (FDR), has a lot of charm (Clinton) or has a lot of loyal minions taking the blame and/or hiding their involvement (Bush Sr.), they weather the storm quite easily and history seems to forget the scandal or in Clinton's case it becomes a joke. in fact, sometimes the scandal never fully harms them (Reagan) and history tends to view them as political gods (Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln).

others of course, who lack the pizzazz or burned too many bridges, get the full brunt of history's wrath like Nixon, Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, and Grant.

so thinking in terms of society and not your own personal opinion, do you think Obama has the charisma and/or loyalties to survive the current scandals with his historical reputation in tact? why?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 1:20 PM on May. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, he'll survive.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:34 PM on May. 28, 2013

• depends on what happens in Syria/Iraq/Iran in the next few months. Re-igniting the Iraqi war is a lot to charisma out of.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I don't believe Obama will be villified as much as someone like Nixon or Johnson, but I don't think he will be remembered as a stellar president like Lincoln, either. Most presidents are relegated to the realm of mediocrity and largely only studied by schoolchildren who have to remember their names and the dates of their terms for tests and then forget them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:34 PM on May. 28, 2013

• At this point I would guess yes.
    A lot depends on what all comes out and how it is spun.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:35 PM on May. 28, 2013

• It depends on if his ego blows it all for him. If he thinks he's safe because he's loved by so many, then he might get himself in a situation where it blows up in his face.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:50 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I think he has a lot of Charisma that may just carry him. He also has that he made history by being the first bi-racial president so that will cover a lot. Unless the latest 3 really blow up with a direct link then he'll weather it as a fair weather president.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:55 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I think (years down the road), when kids look back at his Presidency, he'll be known not only as the first Bi-Racial President, but the President who was responsible for getting Osama Bin Laden. I think he'll do just fine.
    But, that being said, I really think it all depends on what the news/documentaries choose to focus on.
    Television tends to dictate how great a President (Kennedy) is.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:57 PM on May. 28, 2013

• ":the President who was responsible for getting Osama Bin Laden. I think he'll do just fine"
    I think thats what get me. He didn't do any of the work, well technically anyway. Bin Laden has been the focus of our govt since the Clinton Admin. Clinton Admin almost had him one time when a bunch of cruise missiles were directed his way, but the CIA missed him by a and hour or something like that. Then the 2nd time was with Pakistan govt helping out, but was conveniently aborted. The Bush Admin almost had him quite a few times. The fucking nut had more lives than a damn cat! I still think there was mole within the CIA that was feeding Bin Laden info. There has been so many near apprehensions of this man for there not to be. Then when Obama Admin came in, the CIA director "retired" then next thing you know Bin Laden is dead.
    Obama was in in the right place at the right time as far as I am concerned. But he still takes credit....
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:45 AM on May. 29, 2013

• "Yes, he'll survive...."Answer by 3libras
    Only because nobody wants Biden in office..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:47 AM on May. 29, 2013

• yeah i figured being remembered as the first black president (even tho he's bi-racial) and the Bin Laden thing might be enough to keep him on the positive side of history. so long as the scandals dont go much deeper.

Michigan, politicians seem to work like God in that respect...all good stuff is my doing and i'll take all the credit, and all bad stuff is not my fault and im gonna let other ppl take the fall for it.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 2:18 AM on May. 29, 2013