Would you let your kids go?

My kids dad and I split up a little over a month ago. Well their dad already found another woman. He is going camping this weekend. I am assuming he will be taking this new woman and they have only been dating for 1 day so when it comes time to go camping they will be dating for a week.

Now my question is would you let your children (who are 5 and 3) go camping this weekend and be staying in a pop up camper with a woman their dad met a week ago?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on May. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• No. If I didn't have to, I would not.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:36 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Nope I wouldn't. Ask him though, she might not be going. Don't deny them this time until you have Calmly and Rationally spoken to your ex and told him your concerns and that you would prefer she did not go with the kids.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:37 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Depends on if you have a visitation agreement with the courts. If you do and it is his time. Yes I would. If you do not have court visitation. You can choose not to.

Answer by louise2 at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Find out if she is going, then make your decision. If she is, I wouldn't. It's just not appropriate.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I would talk to your ex and ask if he thinks it's appropriate to introduce her to his children already. Try to make him see this is not a wise choice and a parenting fail.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:48 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Not if I had a choice. If he has visitation per a court order, I would be in contempt if I were to forbid him from taking them on his weekend. If I am in jail, I can't be there to take care of my kids so I guess I wouldn't have a choice other than to let them go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:55 PM on May. 28, 2013

• if i could legally, and i knew for a fact she was going, i wouldnt let them. they are too young and the divorce too new to bring a new woman into their lives.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:18 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I would be concerned more about introducing a new woman to the kids too soon, a woman who might very well not be around very long, than I would about the circumstances of the introduction. What I mean is, it wouldn't be the camping trip that bothered me. I would try to make it clear to my ex that I didn't think he should be bringing his dating partners around the kids. If I couldn't stop it from happening, I would encourage the ex to introduce the dating partner as a friend, nothing more, and not to sleep in the same bed with her when the kids were there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:24 PM on May. 28, 2013

• yes
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:32 PM on May. 28, 2013

• You only split up a month ago so there is no divorce yet. I'm also taking a guess that there is no court ordered visitation yet either. With that in mind you have to think of how this will play out in court. "Your Honor the childrens mother refused to let me have my children for visitation just because I was dating another woman" "Your Honor he wanted to introduce a new woman to my children to early so I was protecting them." Depending on the judge he COULD side with him when it comes time to settle custody/visitation. No matter how badly I want to say don't send them he could easily use this against you. You can talk to him and let him know how you feel but in the end if you keep them away it could come back to bite you in the rear.

Personally I'd talk to the kids ahead of time & let them know that he's dating someone. If nothing else it will show her true colors pretty quick. Having to take care of someone else's kids....
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:33 PM on May. 28, 2013