What age do you think a child should have their own laptop?

My son is in kindergarten and one of my sisters went to the pto meeting and they were talking about how kids should have their own laptops to bring back and forth to school for some of the older grade i think but i don't really want my kids to have their own laptops till i feel they are old enough to be responsible with it what are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on May. 28, 2013 in Technology

• Depends on the child. My boyfriend's daughter had a laptop of her own when she was seventeen, and she did fine with it. Now his son is seventeen, and there's no way we would trust him with his own computer because he's hard on stuff and he also tends to post things online that he shouldn't. So he needs more supervision.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on May. 28, 2013

• my daughter got my old one when she was 5. She is very mature and responsible for her age though. I don't think kids should take them to and from school, imo the school should provide computers for all the kids, if they want them to do computer stuff at home or at the library (b/c not everyone has a computer) then they should send a disc home with the kid
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:28 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I agree with ballad.

While I may bet my son(5) his "own" laptop he wouldn't be taking it anywhere, it would be for homework and other educational activities I have him do.

I do think that depending on the maturity of the child I would perhaps consider a very cheap laptop to take to school at age 12ish, but with that you run the risk of not just the child being irresponsible with it, but other children stealing it as well a mugging the child to take the laptop. Not a great idea on the school's part, they run the risk of endangering the children going to and from school. Instead they should provide computers at school and have the parent's buy data storage for the kids to take to and from(flashdrives) school.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• High school
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I will be getting laptops for my kids when they go into high school. Right now they are in 6th and 7th grade and use the desktop just fine. They put things on thumb drives to take back and forth from school and they attach assignments to emails that they send to their teachers. The arrangement works out fine.

Answer by missanc at 3:32 PM on May. 28, 2013

• My son is 10. I gave him my old one but he lost interest in it after a couple weeks.
    I think when he needs it I will invest in a new one.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:34 PM on May. 28, 2013

• my daughter had her own her senior year of high school- so she wouldn't have to share the desktop with my son anymore
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:49 PM on May. 28, 2013

• High School, with out a doubt!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:51 PM on May. 28, 2013

• That's a great HS graduation gift to send someone off to college with. I know kids start using the computer when they are young, but have you seen how 5 y/o throw their bookbags around? Now imagine if that was a laptop! :p 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:53 PM on May. 28, 2013

• It's actually a requirement in the HS I work in, and many around us here in MA.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:09 PM on May. 28, 2013