how do i get my granddaughter to respect me.

my granddaughter lives with me i know i have spoiled her, but shes 13 now and we fight alots she doesnt listen to me i raised 3 kids but i was younger things have changed alot since my kids were teenagers. my granddaughter is rude to me HELP.

gigi1955

Asked by gigi1955 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Just lay down the law of the land. I put it down on paper, gave my kids a copy and pasted the rules on the fridge. I also made a consequences for each infraction and stuck to it. Shes going to be mouthy, angry, hormonal etc because shes a teen but you know as well as I do what they want is consistency and for someone to tell them no.

Answer by gemgem at 6:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I tell mine under no uncertain terms they absolutely cannot disrespect me. I have this wooden spoon I have only used a handful of times but my 11 going on 12 year old still hates the sight of it. I don't even remember the last time I actually used it. I just sit it down beside me and say we need to talk, I tell them I will not tolerate you being ugly to me, you must respect me. Now why are you so angry, has someone been mean to you? Can I help you in some way?

I know spanking is controverseal and may not work in your case because IDK how old you are but you may still be able to sit down with her in the living room, not on the same peice of furniture and calmly tell her in a very serious voice that she cannot disrespect you anymore. She is old enough to understand that. Don't raise your voice and if she runs off to her rm, calmly say when you can talk clamly come back but not B4.
    Anonymous

• I read this answer on iquestions.com - Don't do NOTHING for her. Don't even cook. Let her be shocked. Hang in there. Blessing!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• don't wake her up for school don't wash her clothes don't do nothing
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Does your granddaughter understand what it means to be rude? i know that it sounds ridiculous, but there really isn't a lot of good role-modeling out there these days.

Kids are definitely different these days. I know, I have a 25 year old daugher and a 15 year old son, and things have been changing over the past 10 years.

Kids need to be told exactly what you mean when you tell them not to be disrespectful., They need to be told exactly what they are supposed to do/say, not just what they aren't supposed to do.

Help your granddaughter experience respect by showing her that she gets respected when she is respectful.

I hope that this information has been helpful.

Angie Blackwell, The Parenting Coach
    familycoach4U

Answer by familycoach4U at 3:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2009