Sticking fingers down throat and throwing up

My son is 10 months old and he is sticking his fingers down his throat and throwing up. I keep pulling his fingers out of his mouth but he isn't taking the hint. I don't know what to do or why he is doing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friends daughter did the same thing around the same age, she did it for a while and finally just grew out of it. We couldn't figure out why she did it either.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• its basically investigation... my son doesnt do that, but on a rare occasion when i am changing his diaper, he will notice his penis, and grab at it... they are discovering their bodies.. just wait til potty training starts... you'll wish he was back to sticking his fingers in his mouth and not grabbing whats in the potty... there was a mom on here that asked about how to tell her son it was bad to touch poop... and she wanted to know why, i basiclaly told her that because he now is aware that its there and where its coming from....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Its a stage, albeit a very frustrating one. This was one of the few stages that my DD's went through that really upset me.

I don't know why infants do that....I can't imagine that being comfortable or even fun. But for them, apparently it is. I guess its to gauge the 'cause and effect' thing.

For my DD's it was a fairly short stage (probably being that I yelled so much they just got tired of being yelled at LOL). The only thing you can do is to keep pulling his fingers out and telling him 'no'.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my son did that for the longest.Just give him a toy or sum-n when you take his fingers out his mouth.Its okay tho.He'll grow out of it.
    Anonymous

• My baby girl does this. I think she does it because she's teething. She tries to stick her fingers on her gums but ends up sticking them down her throat. I give her a teething ring or a toy and she stops.
    Anonymous

• My 6 month old does that. He doesn't throw up but he gags and makes faces, but he leaves his fingers in there. Weirdo. He's been doing it for a while some I'm hoping someday soon he'll figure it out!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My son's been doing this for a couple of months and he's also 10 months now. It drives me batty, but yeah - I just pull his fingers out and give them (his fingers) something else to do.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 7:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My 5 month old does this. He hasn't thrown up from it yet thankfully but he does gag. I don't stop him because he's trying to figure things out and learn from them. (this doesn't mean that if he did/does throw up I wouldn't clean him up or anything so moms with no lives, don't start any crap)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009