Would you rent out your home or car for extra money?

Even your bike ? short term. I cant stand the idea of someone being in my place let alone drive my car. My new car I cant stand to let DH drive it, and when I take it in to the dealer I cover the inside with sheets so they do not mess it up. It is an idea for extra cash but do not want it that bad. There are sites for rentals.

by2013

Asked by by2013 at 7:52 PM on May. 28, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would only rent out a rental property. I don't want strangers living in with me.

I Would not rent my car. Sounds like an insurance disaster!
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 10:33 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Maybe if I knew the person and the situation, but not otherwise. I'd be afraid of somebody trashing my stuff.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:11 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I have heard of people renting out space in their homes for travelers but not individuals renting their cars to strangers. Or even bikes.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I would loan my car, bike, or a room in my home to a friend or someone I knew and trusted. But to rent it out to a total stranger? I don't think I could do that. I'm just not that trusting.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:27 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Never heard of it. If I had to move out of state for a couple of years for business and would be returning, I might look into renting my home in my absence. An occupied home is safer than an unoccupied one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I would do a bike and probably my home(after clearing most of the very valuable stuff out such as jewelry etc). With the home the person typically pays a deposit for damage as well is required to sign an aggreement that they are liable for any damages occured while the home is in their possession. So you have a legal recourse that is easily upheld in court.

With a car the lines would be blurred more, it is harder to do because unlike with your house a person can kill another with your car..though with your home you could still be sued if someone gets hurt while there and it is proven to be from your neglegence.

A bike is pretty simple, have them sign an agreement and if they don't bring it back you can either sue them or if you require a credit card on file, you can charge them for it. I would rent out an expensive bike though.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:02 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I'd only rent out a room in my home if I was going to be there most of the time. I would prefer those who do monthly rentals. I'd have to put locks on the other rooms though. I wouldn't rent to males travelling alone and I'd have to do some kind of background check on them prior. In general, it's too much of a hassle for me, but it's not out of the question either for the future. I couldn't rent out my car either because they'd probably dent or scratch it and it's just not worth the hassle. I'd only consider it if they were friends I have known for a long time.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:12 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I'd offer myself as a taxi service before I'd loan my car out.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:16 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Yes virginiamama71 in SF Airport when you leave your car there and the bike thing is in Oregon.
    by2013

Comment by by2013 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on May. 28, 2013

• http://www.rvtd.org/bike_swap.php for the bikes

and for cars

https://relayrides.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rentergen
    by2013

Comment by by2013 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on May. 28, 2013