How to make a 5 yr old understand that not everyone will want to play with him all the time?

He is upset because the neighbor girls don't want to play with him right now. Part of the problem is they are allowed to run around the complex but he is not(obviously). They are around the same age. One is 5 another is maybe 6/7.

He keeps whining about it. I tried to explain to him that not everyone will always want to play with him and that they just want to go run around and I can't help that.

He still doesn't get it. Any other suggestions?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 9:14 PM on May. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• Nope. They have to learn that for themselves, unfortunately. It's more tough on you than him, I am sure. Just try to keep him occupied by something else to get his mind off it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:15 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Yeah, I still have that problem with DS sometimes. He wants to play and the other kids don't want to play with him. It breaks my heart even though he manages to shrug it off.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:17 PM on May. 28, 2013

• my son is 17 and if his friends don't answer texts or want to hang out -he mopes around and whines about it too!

There isn't much you can really do other than what you've done ;)
    try to direct him to things he can do alone, puzzles, legos...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Yeah that's what i though. Shucks. lol I have been attempting to keep him occupied.. But dang has he been having a lot of tantrums...he never has had many tantrums. Guess it was bound to catch up with me, knew I was to lucky lol

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on May. 28, 2013

• My five-year-old has the same problem becauseI don't let her run around our complex, either, like the parents of some of the other kids her age do theirs. Nothing has worked for me except to just let her whine till she gives up and gets over it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:22 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Can you invite them in to play? Or have another friend over? Is there a playground area or a park nearby where you could take them to play? Finding something else to do at the moment & giving him something to look forward to for another day might help. Letting him know you understand he's disappointed at the moment, but that certain behaviors are unacceptable when expressing those feelings. (ie the tantrums) GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 AM on May. 29, 2013