People love a show!

On the connection between carnival workers and televangelists

"It isn't overt in the book, but, sure, I think that we have a lot of carny aspects to life in America — everything from television and the movies to our religion. And we can see from the megachurches that — my goodness, Terry — people love a show. You can have a nice Methodist church somewhere in Oak Park, Ill., if you want it. People are going to come and they're going to sit there and the organ's going to play and that's all terrific, but what I want is down in the 'amen' corner, Jesus jumping. I want that big choir with the people swaying from side to side, 'Ooooh, God,' and I want the electric guitar. Then I want the preacher where the guy's going to walk back and forth and not just stand like a stick behind the pulpit. He's going to, you know, shake his fist a little bit in the air and then he's going to smile and throw his hands up and say, 'God's good! God's great! Can you give me hallelujah?' I just adore that. And it's really only about two steps from the carny pitchman, because I like that, too."

*******

This is from an interview with Stephen King about his new book

link:  http://www.npr.org/2013/05/28/184827647/stephen-king-on-growing-up-believing-in-god-and-getting-scared

Do you agree with him? 

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:22 PM on May. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I do. Stephen King has always been so spot on with regard to organized religion for so long. And he's right; people DO love a show. Why does that little Methodist church not have the same membership level as Joel Osteen's church? Pizzazz! (or the lack thereof, lol)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:27 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Some people do, sure. Look at the fascination with a train wreck like the Kardashians! Personally, all that hype gives me a headache and makes my anti social nature spring out!!!!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:25 PM on May. 28, 2013

• If anyone doubts it, all they need to do is rent Leap of Faith and watch it this weekend.  The movie is a fictional story, but the tricks and techniques they show are the same ones they've been using in churches for ages.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Many people like to be entertained at church as much as anywhere else. I don't get it myself, since for me, church isn't about the show. Its about worship. But there are a lot of glitzy production churches out there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Not me
    My synagogue was considered extreme because we had an organ
    When one of my Exs took me to a church similar to the one described i walked out mid service
    I didnt feel the spirit
    I felt assaulted
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I read this interview earlier and thought it would fit in perfectly here. Lol
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:49 PM on May. 28, 2013

• It's pretty much spot on.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I would not use a movie as a reference myself. It is true that people love a show. Some have them in their churches and some don't.
    I prefer my worship to be just that, worship. If I want a show I will watch a movie and yup I have seen this one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I've been to plenty of the evangelistic meetings and I would have to agree with him.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2013

• there are several mega churches in my area that cater to the "entertain us" types, so yeah id agree.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:11 PM on May. 29, 2013