How to curb 5 yr old tantrums?

My previous question made me think of this. He never really had tantrums before, rarely ever.

Now it seems like it is all the time. We do timeouts but he will scream and scream. I mean as loud as he possibly can and becomes hysterical.

I don't know what else to do. I have taken toys away as well, he freaks out at the time but then it doesn't bother him after that.

Suggestions?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 9:41 PM on May. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• It sounds like he's getting frustrated. I think at that age, it's pretty normal with them trying to put things into perspective. At this point, maybe just a quiet time out in his room, watching a movie while laying down or even quietly reading a book..... If you know that nothing is bothering him health wise, I'd just try to deter the situation and turn it into a quiet time instead....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:46 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Mine has been having more tantrums at five than she ever did at two or three. If I can't get her to calm down, I make her go to her room for a little while. Basically, she can either be fit company or she can be by herself. Usually it doesn't take long before she wants to come out with a better attitude, and then we talk about whatever set her off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:55 PM on May. 28, 2013

• He will do it over anything it seems, but of course especially when he gets in trouble for something, then he will stamp and throw things(if in his room) etc.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Plus, he's trying to push those limits on his independence... it's all pretty normal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:59 PM on May. 28, 2013

• My 5yo dd is sent to her room until she calms down. It works like a charm letting her get the stress out.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:59 PM on May. 28, 2013

• I sent min to their rooms and I'd tell them that when they calmed down and wanted to come out, they could. Sometimes they got over it quickly and sometimes not so much...when they came out-we'd talk about it if they wanted
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:21 PM on May. 28, 2013

• He might have a biopsychological problem. Have you gotten him tested? Also, some kids are very sensitive to substances in foods, such as color dyes and preservatives. See if an organic diet for a few months helps. I think that time-out for kids that are acting up is actually the wrong approach. They're already wound up and need to get that energy out. Maybe have him run around in circles for a few minutes to tire him out.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:39 PM on May. 28, 2013

• My 5 year old is the same way. Generally he's an amazing kid - sweet, smart, all that. But when he gets mad he gets MAD, and everything we do seems to just instigate him further. I've gotten to where I'll just turn on some soothing music, cut the lights off, and have him come and lay down on the couch with me to calm him down. Then we talk about what the issue was.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:40 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Hellokittykat- very good point. I do know he is sensitive to noises and can easily get overstimulated which is why I thought that quite time would work best. But perhaps I should try the other way. What kind of testing are you referring to?

I can't think of anything off hand that is different diet wise from before, we eat pretty healthy but perhaps I should look into that to see if I can find something contributing.

I think the frustration has a big part as well I was trying to get him to vocalize with me but he wouldn't.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on May. 28, 2013

• Have you noticed a pattern of when the tantrums are happening? We have been having the same problems with my youngest who is also five. I noticed that when he is tired and or hungry his tantrums are worse. We have been keeping on top of those issues this week and it has been sooo much better.
    We also talk about making good choices and or bad choices. That seems to help him realize how he should be behaving.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:50 PM on May. 28, 2013