Where can I get a puppy thats affordable when I don't want to buy from a pet store?

I have allergies so I would prefer to get a "hypoallergenic" dog like a Havanese but we are on a budget and don't want to spend more than $500. I also don't trust the pet stores near me. What do I do? Can I trust people who ship their puppies out to customers?

pebs419

Asked by pebs419 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pets

• get a dog that has "human" hair like a matlese or shitzu. look in your papers and things like that or craig's list. but if you can you should try to adopt one. pet stores suck because mostly they get their dogs from puppy mills.
    Anonymous

• yorkies have "human" hair as well. but the cheapest usually a person can find them are 500 but they truely are GREAT dogs
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You can be put on a waiting list at your local shelter. They will call you if they get a dog that will meet your needs.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh you can adopt go to i think it is petfinder.com or google adopt ____ puppies in (your state)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You can actually call or write the AKC in your area and they can give you a list of breeders. I would NEVER buy a dog from a pet store b/c a lot of them come from puppy mills and they could have problems that you can't tell when they're a pup.
    Anonymous

• Try looking at a shelter or pound. Look for one that looks like the breed you want. Muts are Fabulous!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• KARRIEMARIE your suggestion is a recipe for disaster and heartbreak. DID YOU READ HER QUESTION??? A mutt will not work with a "dog that looks like what she wants" it has to have hair, not fur. That usually means a purebred. If she gets a dog that looks like a havanese, she will end up being allergic to it and having to rehome it or give it back to the pound where it will face death. They very rarely even try to adopt pets out a second time. Next time you answer a question, try to know something sensible about the subject.
    Anonymous

• You can look up breeders of this dog in your area. We have one and he is adorable,smart and an easy learner,all  WAYS wanting to please you. Would have 20 if I could. I love them so much. He makes me laugh everyday, and he loves our other dogs and cats as well.We drove 4 hrs away to buy him from a breeder. We are in Fl. So google it on line and hopefully you will find one near by. I would have flown to the place to get him if I had to. We paid a little more than $500, for him but it was worth it. Good luck on your search for the wonderful HAVENESE DOG.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• research the specific dog that you want and then look in your neighborhood. i got my boston terrier from puppyfind.com and she was 350 but also look in your shelter yo will be surprised there are purebred dogs there
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• SPCA...that is where we got our baby...they are affortable..
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009