PTO Issues

I was elected as a PTO officer for the 2013-2014 school year. 2 are new, 2 are re-elected. One of the re-elected who always seemed very nice and friendly before has been different toward me since the nominations were made early April. From what has been brought to my attention by an ex-officer and a few other people, she does not want me to be an officer. That she doesn't like I have a strong personality just like her so she has been trying to intimidate me into dropping out. And believe me, she has been trying hard telling me one lie after another, as confirmed by the ex-officer. It started as her going from being very friendly toward me to acting like anything I did or said was the stupidest thing anyone could have said/done. She has told me that she has gotten complaints from many parents and a few teachers about me (saying some of them are my friends, but won't tell me who), says people are nervous and has even went to the principal complaining because I talk to people, that she doesn't believe I will be able to last the entire 13-14 school year, that I have a "target on my back"

I know she made these things up but at the same time I'm not sure about going into being an officer with her. Although she isn't president, she runs the PTO and she can probably make my life not so great over the next 12 months. My mindset was to stick it out because I want to be involved and if for no other reason than to prove her wrong that I wouldn't last as an officer, but now I'm questioning if it would be best to just let it go and drop out before any of the summer meetings happen, but then again the new officers have been announced, so it would probably look bad if I dropped out. I don't want to deal with this junior high mentality but at the same time I want to be involved with my child at school, and I wonder if since this can of worms has been open if it will continue no matter if I am an officer or just a regular member. As an officer, I can make sure I'm at functions, but as a member my name can easily be skipped over when calling for volunteers.

Anyone have any words of advice regarding this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 29, 2013 in

• you made the commitment. see it through to the end.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Don't let the bully win. Stick with your commitment, and see it through.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:06 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Stick it out, especially since it sounds like you have support from other people. If this other person can't get past her insecurities and work with you, she's the one who will end up looking childish.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:16 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Keep your head low and try to grin and bear it as best you can. Don't get trapped into being officer for another year with that psycho there. She sounds really controlling. Be sure to document everything you do so she can't blame anything on you but you have to play the same game back to protect yourself. Be fake nice back to her. Keep your enemies close. Some people are never satisfied even if they get their way. Or if it gets to be that miserable, just fake a family crisis and bow out of the officer position. I wouldn't want to face drama for the next year. I tend not to join groups for this reason, unless it's a group I created where I can choose who gets to join. Really, this lady should know better as an adult.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:08 AM on May. 29, 2013

• " If this other person can't get past her insecurities and work with you, she's the one who will end up looking childish."

this. if you back out she will just lie to everybody about why you quit, and you wont be there to refute it. just keep your head, let her keep being a bitch, and most ppl will see that she is the one w/ issues, not you.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

Next question in
Kindergarten Readiness

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Wedding song?