Please send good thoughts.

My son got his 7th ear infection of this year (and also going a month of having a cold). Today we did about a million labs to test for any possible reason as to why he keeps getting infections. While I am happy to soon have answers, I am also more nervous than I have ever been. The worst possible scenarios keep coming to mind, and of course labs could take weeks to come back, since some of them have to be sent away. Depending on the results we may be going to an immunologist off base. They are just a little baffled since usually with these issues the kids have tons of respiratory infections like pneumonia and RSV, but so far we are lucky enough for him to not have those. (Knock on wood.) Just tons of ear infections (11-12 now to be exact) and sinus infections, and common things (like colds) take him much longer to recover from.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 6:47 AM on May. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• You got it AF. Granddaughter had RSV as a baby. She's five and still gets sick constantly. It's a PITA....

I hope he gets better soon. I hear they sometimes grow out of that stuff, so here's hoping!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 AM on May. 29, 2013

• This can be nerve wracking, I know, but have faith everything will be ok, and your son will be alright, good thoughts and healing vibes and prayers your way.....hugs....

Answer by older at 7:21 AM on May. 29, 2013

• This happened to me as a kid around 2 years old. I got the tubes, they didn't work (fell out too soon) and I spent my childhood with holes in my ear drums getting an infection everytime I went swimming and the ear plugs didn't fit properly. From about 8 - 12 years old I had different surgeries to patch the holes and when they were finally successfulI I then developed cysts on my ear drums that then had to be removed! Yes it was a pain in the ass BUT nothing was ever near life threatening and all surgeries were routine and out patient. I suffer from it 0% as an adult (in fact honestly I forget until times like this) and while I have a very mild hearing loss in one ear I don't notice it and it doesn't affect my life at all. I'm sure if it were real serious they would have found the cause by now. But positive vibes anyway :)
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:19 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Oh, and the cold link for me was a cycle. I'd get a cold, automatic ear infection. The cold would subside, and then the infection would drain flaring it back up again, thus causing a new infection! They do go hand in hand.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2013

•  It is so hard as a mom to worry about our kids. But it is our jobs. HUGS Momma!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:56 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Awww, thoughts are w/ you & your ds!! Hope that they figure out what it is, & are able to fix it & get him back to being healthy!! hugs!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:01 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Just throwing this out there... has he been seen by an ENT? Of course, I'm sending you good thoughts. Hope he feels better soon. Mine went through two sets of tubes and an adenoid removal before his ear infections finally stopped.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:40 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Sending positive thoughts your way. I hope your little guy starts feeling better and you get the answers you are looking for.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:48 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Thoughts and prayers to you and your son. Let us know.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:35 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yes he has seen an ENT. He sees the ENT every single month, sometimes twice a month. The ENT said, that with his new ear tubes and his adenoids out he should not be getting more infections than before he got them. That is why he told me to make an appointment to test him for all this.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 4:56 PM on May. 29, 2013