Just wanted to share the lice remedy that worked for us (not for the squeamish)

just a little follow up on the hectic situation here. found lice in 6 year old's hair saturday night, treated her & my other 2 daughters with the RID kit the same night and washed everything. the next day there were still live bugs in her hair so i treated her again with the RID kit. she spent the night with my mom that night and she soaked her hair in conditioner and combed it and thought she got most of them.

monday morning there were a few more live bugs still. i finally resorted to the home remedies i read up on and some that you ladies gave me. first, i soaked her hair in listerine for half an hour. that effectively killed any live bugs that remained, but there weren't that many. then i drenched her hair in mayo and left it on for an hour. this effectively suffocated the nits and made her hair very slick for easy pulling and grabbing of nits. i spent the next two and a half hours pulling nits out of her hair. there had to be hundreds of them. it was definitely an interesting way to spend memorial day with my parents lol! thankfully they were there though because they helped keep my other two children occupied through the tedious process. some of the nits were practically microscopic.

when i got her home that night, i washed her hair again regularly and combed it, found another eighteen nits.

i sent her to school yesterday and informed her teacher, apparently she was sent to the office once for scratching, the nurse only pulled out two nits and sent her back to class. when i got her home, i washed her hair again and pulled out thirteen nits. apparently they hide when the hair is being washed so tonight im going to condition it dry and comb it that way. but atleast the number is less and less each time, and no more live bugs anymore. its just a little discouraging when i find more thinking i got them all the previous combing.

anyway, the combo of listerine and mayo is definitely what did the trick, plus my extreme 2 hour dedication to pulling them out and her patience LOL! needless to say she was infested with nits. one of the worst experiences ever!! she also claims she didn't share anything with anyone at school so it remains to be seen how she got them because apparently unlike commonly thought, lice cannot 'jump' from one head to another.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:35 AM on May. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I was 17, I worked in a fast food place (I won't say which one) and got lice from their drive-thru head set. I had hair down to my ass, and the doctor told me the only way to get rid of it was to shave my head. I swear, if it weren't for the fact that I was old enough to be tried as an adult, I would have killed him. lol

My mom helped me get rid of them, and it was a miserable process. It drove me insane at 17, so I definitely have to commend your daughter for being so patient for it. lol (And no, shaving my head was NOT part of the process! Idiot doctor!!)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Good job! Now it's time to start using tea tree oil in her shampoo. I swear it works!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:43 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I am so glad you were able to get it all under control
    I know how frustrating it can be
    Dont forget to do a complete follow up in two weeks
    Thats how long it takes for the eggs to hatch

And when checking again for the effers follow the hairline around the ears and at the neck. Its warmest there and they love it
    Congrats again
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I hope it works- what about your other kids and you have washed EVERYTHING - even re-washed them again right?

Mayo, RID and hair dye did not work for us. We finally had to get a freaking perscription from the doctor to get rid of them.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:52 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Yep, wash stuffies(or put in dryer) coats jackets, pillows(dont forget the ones on the couch) combs, headphones that are used(put in freezer)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:12 AM on May. 29, 2013

• blow dry and flat iron the hair
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:09 PM on May. 29, 2013

• and yes the ped will call in a prescription to the pharmacy without an office visit, same active ingredient as dandruff shampoo so you can use that everyday
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:11 PM on May. 29, 2013

• (the dandruff shampoo not the prescription) my head is itching i gotta get out of here
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:12 PM on May. 29, 2013

• What a miserable process! I got lice from a laundromat once--my two aunts noticed it at Easter dinner and had to tell me, it was just charming--I didn't shave my head, but I cried the whole time I had my waist-length hair cut off. I can't even imagine going through it with a kiddo, talk about a horrible parenting moment. Hang in there, Mom.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• my head is itchy reading this!
    olive oil and tea tree help a ton. It's a little more manageable (and smells better in my opinion) than mayo. Soak the hair and cover with a plastic bag so it doesn't get anywhere your dd sits and/or leans back. Leave on for 1-3 hours (put a movie on), then comb through to pick out the nits. Put some tea tree in her shampoo too! Leave the hair a bit oily - contrary to popular belief, lice do not live in dirty hair... they prefer clean hair. Oily hair is hard for them to hold on to!
    Boil hair brushes, combs, hair ties, bows, anything you use in their hair or have used or in in the same drawer as something you use. Wash all stuffed animals, blankets, pillows, couch cushion cover (remove outside), vacuum the couch crevices, carpets, and carpet joints (where carpet meets wall), then vacuum again. Wash all clothes and towels, anything and everything in HOT water!

Good Luck!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:15 PM on May. 29, 2013