Getting a mammogram. What should I expect?

I've got to leave soon to go to my appointment. It's my first one. I'm soooo excited (not).

How painful is it? Any helpful tips?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on May. 29, 2013 in Health

• Boobs in a vice! lol :p Seriously tho, they're more uncomfortable than painful. Unless of course you scheduled it too close to your cycle when your boobs are more tender. They tell you not to wear deodorants, lotions, etc., but mine always has baby wipes for that since I usually schedule mine after work. GL!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:20 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Have you seen the cartoon of the woman who puts her boobs under the toilet seat and then sits down on it?? That just about describes it!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:25 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I've been putting mine off because of mental images like smooshing my boobs under a toilet seat. Youch!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:05 PM on May. 29, 2013

• So not only do you have to bare your boobs & have them smashed in a vise, but you have to smell while you're doing it??? Lovely... Isn't it wonderful to be a woman??? lol
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:58 AM on May. 29, 2013

• It's not painful, per se. It's more uncomfortable than anything. The rad nurse will position your breasts for the best picture but it won't be too bad, because it's a fairly quick process.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:09 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I had my 1st mammogram 2 yrs ago and I remember it being uncomfortable, but not painful. There was some boob smooshing and standing a bit weird so they could get the machines at the angles they needed to take the films.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:37 AM on May. 29, 2013

• It's actually not painful. The only uncomfortable part is when the nurse feels you up... LOL! She does that during her little interview with you. She's feeling for lumps, etc. Other than that, it's really nothing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Yeah, I followed the no deoderant, lotion or perfumes rule.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Aww, now I feel cheated. I didn't get felt up. Just smooshed. It was uncomfortable, but quick. I now agree with my mom, I think I would rather get a mammogram than a pap. Lucky me got both in the same month!

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 12:01 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Here's a question- I'll have my first one later this year. I have small boobs. Like, not much to grab onto. How the hell are they gonna get it in there?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:19 PM on May. 29, 2013