Going back to work?

I have a one year old and a two year old.. I haven't went back to work... But I think it is time, but I have a few dilemmas with it..

My job isn't exactly your normal 9 - 5 job...

I model and have been doing so since the age of 14. Last year I turned every booking down because for 1 I was told if I were to go back to it then I'd be neglecting my kids and wouldn't be a good parent.. (I am a single mom and the only parent and only source of income).. For 2 they'd travel with me which I was told would actually be good experience for them, but I need someone to be there with them while I'm on the set for the shoot... Would it be okay to ask a younger family member trying to get into the industry to be like my assistant and sit with them while on set? My next option is opening a small model/talent management instead..

I just am not sure of which way to turn, I need to go back to work. I am starting to have no other option... I can't keep doing "assistant" work for my dads business...

What are some thoughts and ideas here :) Thank you !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 29, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would go ahead and do it but do not travel. That is not good for children especially young children to travel very much and live out of hotels. Children need consistency. You're not neglecting your children by working.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:49 AM on May. 29, 2013

• If I don't travel, I can't work. Unless I start my own small management.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:53 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Which do you want to do? Are your kids in school? If they're not in school yet, and you can have a nanny and you want to model...I think go for it, at least until they're school age.

Once they start school, I think it's better for them to be settled, and maybe that would be a good time to start your own agency or modeling school.

JMO
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:03 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Well I'm not all for nannies, but I'd hire my younger cousin who is trying to get into the business and she will only watch them during the actual shoot. They are only 1 and 2.. And I half home school my oldest as he is still a bit young.. I'm a big believer in homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I homeschooled my younger two....actually the youngest all the way through high school.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on May. 29, 2013

• The experience might be good for your cousin as well as your children. Give it a try. If it doesn't work out, you can always rethink your plan later.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:03 PM on May. 29, 2013

• If being an assistance for my father was giving me enough to live and especially time with my children, I would stay with that, pursue everything else when they are older.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I think the plan of having someone travel with you to the modeling gigs sounds doable. First, the children are young and aren't in school. Second, you could capitalize on your looks while YOU are still young. Beauty is transitory and the fashion industry fickle.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:27 PM on May. 29, 2013