Can you get a mole removed by your fam. dr.?

I've got a mole that just appeared out of nowhere a few months ago, on the side of my face, it looks horrible, & seems to keep growing....(eww, I know) I'm wondering if I'd be able to go to my reg. dr. to get it removed? If not where would I have to go? Do they usually run tests on it, to see if it is pre-cancerous, & if it is, does removing it, remove the cancer threat?

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2013 in Health

• go to a dermatologist. they can do it in office. they will numb it with a shot, then the doctor will cut it off and send it to the lab. insurance will cover it.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:28 AM on May. 29, 2013

• No they send you to a dermatologist since they can handle it better and they can also send it in to do testing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:29 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Some will, but most likely they'll refer you to a dermatologist. As far as cancer and removing it, sometimes removing it removes the cancer, if it hasn't spread beyond it. Probably what they would do is remove it to biopsy, and if the whole thing is cancerous, they'd have you come back in and take some more tissue around it and check that for cancer. Repeat as necessary until they get no more indication of cancer. That's how they did my mom's.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:36 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I don't know. I've had two removed by my regular doctor. I guess it depends. A dermatologist would probably be the best way to go. Usually you can tell if it's cancerous by looking at it. A regular doctor should be able to tell you that much.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:12 AM on May. 29, 2013

• Go to a Dermatologist.G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:24 AM on May. 29, 2013

• http://www.skincancer.org/

If it just appeared, it's needs to be looked at by a doctor. You'll probably be referred to a dermatologist. Good luck.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:31 AM on May. 29, 2013

• They probably will sent you to Dermatologist. Good luck.
    SweetShay2

Answer by SweetShay2 at 11:36 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I'd also say go to a dermatologist.

Even if it is non-cancerous, a derm would have more experience removing moles, reducing scarring than a family dr.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:50 AM on May. 29, 2013

• I have a mole infestation too
    Anonymous

• I am moldy, myself. Any new mole that pops up I pay close attention to, but it's not means for immediate scare.
    The fact it is on your face and growing would lead me, personally, to have the sucker removed before it got much bigger. GP's can remove them, but for the face they probably won't touch it... in fact, a dermatologist my refer you to a plastic surgeon who specializes in minimizing scars. The plastic surgeon I see is #1 for "lesion removal" because he is so thorough. In fact, he's been more accurate with which moles are "suspicious" by visual examination than any dermatolgist I've seen. I now have all my moles removed by this doc! Had 12 done in January - some I just wanted gone and 3 that I thought looked "odd". Only 1 came back "atypical" - which is not cancer, but still grounds to make sure you get all the margins. I had to have it cut out again to get all the margins.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:48 PM on May. 29, 2013