Spicy Food & Pregnancy.

Lately I have had this craving for these really spicy romen noodles that I get my boyfriend to get me in town! I was just wondering if spicy food is bad for me to eat? Will it burn the baby or something? lol. Or will it start early labor?? Or am I just being plain silly and a worry wart?? :)

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that you are just being a worry wart. :-) I craved spicy Mexican food with my 2nd child, and she came out just fine, and not a minute early.
    I have heard an Old Wives Tale that eating Spicy food at the end of your pregnancy can help to start labor, I have also heard the same about Chinese food.
    Best of luck to you, and Eat away!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i craved spicy with my daughter as well... especially chips and salsa. Dont be a worry wart and indulge! other than a little heartburn for you, the spicy food will not hurt your baby
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 6:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• all ive heard about spicey food is the old wives tale that it might induce labor but as long as its not creating any kind of additional stress to your body (like the sweating or the omg its too hot feeling) i dont think it really works anyway lol. oh and if it gives you indegestion that could make it feel like the baby is movin alot but really its just...haha you know. basically, i think youre safe! good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i heard about someone who ate it all through pregnancy and now the baby hates bland foods as a toddler also and wants all his foods spiced up also...........LOL
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 6:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ROFL no! in fact some spicy food is ok (peppers have a lot of vitamin c!) however I would avoid Ramen noodles. They have a lot of sodium, which can raise your BP and cause swelling. Oh and if anyone tells you soft drinks are bad because of the acid...yeah thats not true either. They go through your stomach which is filled with acid ! DH has a dumbass friend who believes he is Mr. expert on babies because his sister had a baby. He was telling me at 12 weeks "don't you need to go to the doc to find out the sex of the baby???" Um I'm 12 weeks idiot! Its happened, but is VERY rare.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Although be warned...indigestion will happen!! And your LO will move around quite a bit (especially after 20 weeks I believe, because the amniotic fluid takes on the flavor of what you ate)
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I eat spicy food all the time, but I wouldn't eat Ramen. It's full of sodium and MSG which are both not healthy at all, let alone pregnancy.

My daughter loves spicy foods, always has too hehe. We are a spice family.

Spicy foods, nor any other natural "induction" methods will cause pre term labor. They only work if your body is ready so don't worry about it!

I also never get heartburn, or indigestion, from the spices. :) (I am 26ish weeks pregnant)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My Best Friend ate spicey foods all through her pregnancy, and her little boy was just fine... There isn't anything I think that will hurt the baby buy eating it though... I never had that problem, because all through this pregnancy I've only craved sour things like sour straws and pine apples... Lol, so hopefully my little miss will like them when she's old enough.
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• mmmm, i used to eat the hot boneless buffalo wings from applebees, while i was preggo. they were very satisfying. nothing happened to my son, but he sure does love those buffalo wings and he's 2
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009