Who remembers film strips?

I suppose schools don't use them anymore. It was back before DVD's and even VCR tapes. In the seventies. You'd feed the strip of film into the machine and then play an audio cassette, and every time a bell sounded on the tape, the teacher (or the lucky kid of the day) would turn a knob on the film machine to advance the picture. I don't know what made that pop into my head last night while I was awakened by the extremely loud thunderstorm while the cat was trying to climb under my pillow and the dog was hyperventilating in my face--maybe it would have made a good film strip sequence--but does anybody else remember those?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:57 PM on May. 29, 2013 in

• I remember those. Sometimes it wasn't even a cassette it was a record! DING and then you'd flip the knob.
    And it would never fail, it would somehow always get off a slide, and there was no way to hit the same spot on the record to go back, so we'd zip ahead 4 slides to catch up.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• LOL,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:58 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I remember those.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:00 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I remember those but the girls were never allowed to turn them. Only the boys. Something about the boys being more "capable" of mechanical things. LOL
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:05 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yes, I do.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:22 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yup! Remember the AV crew boys were always very odd too! I mean the kids that set it up & brought it into the class.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Our school had the film and film strip projectors on the same cart. Everyone got excited when they saw a cart wheel in, until they saw which machine was on top - film good, film strip bad. Reel film always took the teacher longer to set up, so you had more time to goof off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Hmmmm.... yes, I remember "watching" those.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:41 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yes, unfortunately - and mimeographs and manual typewriters.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

• just barely...my 2nd grade teacher used them (early 90s). and it may have been b/c she was at least 70 and actually knew the programs available on the film strips.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:11 PM on May. 29, 2013