Chinese Meat Producer Shuanghui to Buy Smithfield Foods

Would this concern you and/or prevent you from buying their products out of safety concerns?  They've already had issues in the past with selling tainted meat.  That, with the abyssmal record on safety that China has in general, doesn't make any food they have a hand in directly sound very appetizing.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:30 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It would make me much less likely to purchase their products. I don't buy any meat products with their name, although I don't know if they package for other brands as well.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:44 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Just heard that on CNBC , i wish companies would stop being a sell out for money.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 1:51 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I don't know if they package for other brands as well.

Eckerich, Armor, Curly's and John Morrell are the ones I recognize. The others might be regional.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:59 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Thanks for the link. None of those are brands that I buy.

I guess this is why I get so annoyed by people who think the best idea is for us to borrow money from countries like China to be able to run and expand our government. I wish that people thought more about the end game than what they desire right now. It will eventually hurt all of us, I think the only question remaining is 'how much' it will hurt.  Eventually we will owe them everything and they will own many American companies.  So they will get us on the front end and then collect again on the back end.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:11 PM on May. 29, 2013

• That's very worrisome.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 PM on May. 29, 2013

• If it is owned by China, I won't buy it. So, no more Smithfield hams or JM bologna. That is a bummer. Dinner Bell was bought out (I think) by JM. That was absolutely the best bologna, and now, it is out of my fridge forever. :(
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:06 PM on May. 29, 2013

• If it is owned by China, I won't buy it.

It's not a done deal yet - anything bought by China needs federal approval. Good time to dig out your email addresses for the elected sycophants.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:36 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Oh what now? Jsut about every damn thing in my house "was made China" now food? Ohh hell no. Not after all those recalls for lead tainted kids toys and other shit. I still think China is trying to take us out! lol Can't do it by war, so just a teeny tiny bit everyday... Ha! Just joking. But I do know I will try my damndest not to buy food made in China. Check out this list of recalls, ALL of these are made in China.

So excuse me for saying "- anything bought by China needs federal approval." Somebody is asleep at the wheel..

http://www.recallowl.com/recalls/China?limit=Consumer&t=1

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:36 AM on May. 30, 2013

• I buy Smithfield ham when I want ham, I guess I will buy something elae. Too many issues for me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:18 PM on May. 30, 2013