"We are opening ourselves up to things we should not, like belly dancing and magic spells"

And WHY is it always Florida??

The TLDR: a resort in Florida is hosting a Summer Solstice festival, and the zealots in their community are having a shit fit, insisting the city commission shut it down (never mind it's an event on private property)

Some highlights from the outraged citizens before the commission:

“I just found out about this today. I am disappointed in the city of Pahokee for allowing this group to come,” said Pastor Brad Smith, Florida Director of Kids for Christ. Smith called the event “an abomination”.

“We are opening ourselves up to things we should not, like belly dancing and magic spells,” said Daniel Mondragon. “We do not welcome these things. This is the first annual event, and it should be the last.”

“We cannot expect our city to survive and prosper if we allow these things,” said Pastor Eugene Babb, of Harlem Church of God.

“God cannot heal our land if we have witches and warlocks violating our community,” said Evangelist Lillian Brown, of Saints on the Move.

So what was that about Christians always being "bashed most"?  I haven't seen anyone demanding their local city council shut down the KofC fish fry.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:51 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Geeze, Florida.....

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:54 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I just moved to Florida a couple months ago. Gotta love the South!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:11 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Lol.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:16 PM on May. 29, 2013

• SMH..

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Lol.

Yeah, hate sure is funny.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:36 PM on May. 29, 2013

• If I could start a new Christian denomination, it would be called the Church of Live and Let Live. I firmly believe that if people are doing something that isn't hurting me (or the collective us), especially on private property, they should be left alone, for goodness sake! Can someone explain to me how belly dancing is going to harm a community?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:42 PM on May. 29, 2013

• belly dancing is evil? man some ppl are horribly sheltered. a Satanist group held a convention in one of our civic arenas a few years ago and ppl flipped their shit. luckily, the mayor told them to STFU and that he cant just go around denying ppl use of public facilities b/c ppl "dont like it". some ppl are just so freaking arrogant they fail to see the ramifications of what they are calling for. these kinda ppl need a healthy dose of REAL religious prosecution so they will stop crying & boohooing over nothing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2013

• “God cannot heal our land if we have witches and warlocks violating our community,

that's a knee slapper when talking about a Summer Solstice festival, and especially coming from a Christian. do they even know what the Summer Solstice is? a scientifically proven event of our planet, whereas their religion talks about praying to a higher power that doesn't even exist instead of getting off your ass and actually doing something about it- which, to me, seems far more 'imaginary' and 'magical' and 'whimsical' than the Summer Solstice. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:06 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I'd just like to say that although I live in Florida, I was not born here. lol

The stupidity is appalling at times.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:06 PM on May. 29, 2013

• and stop picking on Florida! we are a stupid bunch but this is surprising because there are typically not a lot of religious upheavals down here, considering we are not exactly part of "the South" even though we are the Southernmost state of the East Coast.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:08 PM on May. 29, 2013