Hi, Regular User Here, What would you do in this situation?

I have been going to this little junk/salvage store in my town since they opened, about 15 years ago. I love going there because I can get stuff at a great deal. I won't buy food there because we've had some bad experiences with the outdated food. I buy soap, shampoo, razors, deodorant, and some other health items at a great deal. Lately though they have gotten terrible about watching every little thing you do. They have camera signs up everywhere. I am sure they do get some shoplifting, but I've actually been stopped at the door asking where I put that item I was carrying down at. While I can relate and understand, I've had enough. Every time I go, someone asks, "Aren't you going to buy anything today"? I know it's because they are watching every customer so closely.

Question is, would you just stop going, or would you let the owners (who you used to be friends with) know the reason you will no longer be returning to their store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Shopping

• Just stop going. They aren't doing anything to deserve repeat business.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:01 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would go into the store and ask to talk to the manager and flat out tell them that you have been a loyal customer for 15 years and that you are uncomfortable being watched like a hawk. Unless they believe that you are the thief, then please back the hell off or lose your business. Then follow through. If they make you uncomfortable after that, then stop going there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• How annoying! I would stop going, if I am going to be treated like a criminal every time I went in there I would no longer feel comfortable there.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:00 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would stop going, but I would also let them know why. I would tell them quite bluntly that it's a major discouragement to have someone up your ass like that, and that I'd rather shop where I'll be treated with respect and dignity rather than being punished for what other people have done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would let them know, nicely. They are likely losing other customers and may be wondering why.

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would just stop going. No need for theatrics.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would write a letter to the owner or manager you used to be friends with, explaining specific examples of how you have been treated and stating that you will no longer be shopping at the store. That way you can say your piece and not have to deal with anyone getting defensive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:13 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I'd stop going, and I'd tell them why. They can't treat everyone like a criminal or they will run off all their customers, and only have the criminals left!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I would stop going
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:44 PM on May. 29, 2013