Toddler time out

So my son just threw a fit and I took him upstairs and put him in his crib for time out. Do I go in after a certain amount of time if he hasnt calmed down yet or should I wait until he stops

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 3:20 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddler's throw fits... what was it over? How long was it lasting before you put him in his crib? How long has he been up there?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:22 PM on May. 29, 2013

• How old is he exactly?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:23 PM on May. 29, 2013

• When I put my little ones in time out I tell them they can come off the step/out of their room when they are quiet and ready to play nicely/share toys/follow directions (depending on what the infraction was)

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Was putting him in his crib your first strategy? Just trying to get a sense of what happened.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2013

• ^^ I'm with Ballad... I think we need more information?
    did he skip a nap? could he be hungry? typically a toddler's fits are short lived unless they get themselves overly worked up which is usually do to tiredness or hunger or frustration
    So.... what happened and why was your decision to put him in toddler time-out?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:26 PM on May. 29, 2013

• he likes to play with the ice machine on the fridge and he dumped ice all over and when I asked him to help me pick it up I got the infamous no over and over. so I tried holding him and showing him. he picked up about 3 pieces and was throwing a fit the whole time. hes been in timeout for about 10 minutes and hes still going at it. im watching him on the video monitor. he is 20 months and he has been very emotional today compared to the little dare devil I always have
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• if a toddler completes a task or gets close - even while throwing a fit, that should be good enough. He's not even 2 yet! It doesn't sound like that was grounds for a time-out... and 10 minutes is too long for a time-out locked in his crib. Go up there and hug the little guy. I think establishing a time-out chair is more beneficial than his bed - you don't want him to associate his bed as something negative or you'll have other battles to fight too!
    Age appropriate time out is a minute for every year of age. So for your little guy, 90 seconds is all it should take. Then you talk to him and try again and get an apology from him for not listening to mommy (that is if he has those language skills, if not a hug is suitable)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:34 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I think mommy needed a time out from the frustration he was causing you. Next time step outside for a minute to breathe, then try again calmly with him. Ice is ONLY water... it can wait until you can work with him without losing your patience
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:36 PM on May. 29, 2013

• thanks guys these all help
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I have to say I disagree with a few of the above comments. My daughter started having tantrums at around that age and we started the chair in the corner timeouts (if i put her in her bed or playpen she just starts playin and that kills the point) so anyway i used to put her in her chair in the corner and when she'd calm down i'd talk to her calmly and tell her what was wrong and what needs to be different and she's now 27 months and acts alot better when i tell her timeout is coming.. Good luck!
    dimples2k13

Answer by dimples2k13 at 4:16 PM on May. 29, 2013