Individual health insurance questios...

So I apply for individual health insurance thru aetna and was denied. Never have been denied before. My cobra is ending I need to find a new insurer. They said because of my cholesterol (which I manage with medication) a calcification spot on my brain which has been mri'd twice and said it was nothing (found it after falling a year ago/concussion and getting a catscan) and because I smoke. So now I am in a pickle. My coverage under cobra ends end of June and I am so afraid I will continue to be denied. I am thinking about keeping what I have and converting to an individual plan but it will be $150 more. I have heard that insurance co. are rejecting alot of people and in 2014 with the Obama thing the rates are going to go sky high. Any help? Thinking I should have lied or not disclosed some info.

momofne

Asked by momofne at 4:07 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Health

• Ugh, that is why I am trying to find a full time job myself. It's going to get worse, I am afraid. It's going to be either be get a job or go on medicaid for a lot of people.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:10 PM on May. 29, 2013

• That's the spot I've been in since 2001. Almost every time I have applied for coverage, I was denied, and since we're self employed, we don't have any other options. I did get coverage (strangely enough, it is through Aetna) but it's extremely expensive and we have a $3000 / person, $9000 / family deductible. I end up paying another $500+ a month for prescriptions because my plan won't cover it until the deductibles are met. You can try applying to different companies, but you might not get anywhere until January 1 when you can't be denied coverage anymore.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:12 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yes thats what I am afraid of but the cost is going to be much higher I've been reading. Fortunately my ex has to pay through the end of the year for what ever coverage I do get (up to a certain amount). It really sucks cause I am in really good health.
    momofne

Comment by momofne (original poster) at 4:15 PM on May. 29, 2013

• You really can't lie. When you go through underwriting. They look through a national data base that tells them what all you have been to the doctor for. Try applying at other insurances to see what you can come up with. I thought once you are losing insurance else where the insurance company can't deny you but I guess it's different with individual
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:15 PM on May. 29, 2013

• have you looked into medicade?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:16 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I haven't had health insurance in 10 years. Whatever medical bills I have are nothing compared to what a premium payment would have been those ten years.
    Anonymous

• All it would take is one major medical incident to ruin a person. My husband had blood clots in his lungs and spent a week in intensive care when we were only 22. He was in perfect health and there was no warning. If we hadn't had insurance, it would have financially destroyed us.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:36 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I haven't had health insurance for about 12 years now... however, I am getting to the age where I feel I need health insurance... I'd like to have health check ups, i.e., mammograms, paps, etc... without having to pay so much money. Currently, I am self pay... have been all these years. I pay cash for my meds. However, it's like gambling right now and I'm not willing to play along.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:42 PM on May. 29, 2013

• It's insane. My boyfriend pays almost $350 a month for private insurance, and he's in his fifties and in good health, but he's self-employed. Unfortunately, Obama's plan is going to itrodce its own set of problems.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:45 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yeah, my insurance runs out in August and I can't reapply because I am not an on campus student anymore. It is going to be fun to try to find something.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:12 PM on May. 29, 2013