Driving a 20 ft uhaul truck...eeek?!

We had reserved a 14 foot uhaul truck for our move(300 miles over two mountain passes but 99% interstate driving). They called to say they don't have that size in the area(said they searched a 150mile radius). So they gave us a 20 foot for the same price.

I am not happy about having to drive such a big truck. Anyone driven something similar? tips, advices, anything!!

lol oh this is going to suck, my nerves will be fried.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• always try and stay on the outer lanes
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• You will be fine. I was worried my first time too but it was just like driving a long car and much easier than pulling a trailer. Just remember to allow for a wider turn and like LostSoul88 said, stay in the right/slow lane.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Ok thanks guys. I'm just keep picturing myself clipping a car lol

I've gotta find something to occupy myself tonight or I'm going to go bonkers.

It's funny cause I have driven a large flatbed a child(I mean litterally like 11 yrs old) but it's been so long and that was never with other traffic of course..just around our land.

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Use a GPS. Don't change lanes. No backing up, drive thrus, or parking lots.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:57 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yep, a 24 foot, but I've always had large vehicles so it wasn't a big deal for me.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:16 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I'm with the posters who mentioned leaving a wide berth for turns.
    The same thing happened to my friends and I in college. We ordered a smaller truck and got a larger one. Well, the streets on Beacon Hill in Boston are narrow and as we turned we clipped a parked car and we realized this when the parked cars alongside us started moving slowly. EEEK! We nudged 5 cars into each other! We called the police, who wrote a report (we had full insurance, thank goodness) and his advice to us was, "You guys better get out of here before someone comes to move their car! You've made a report, so you have done all you need to here."
    It makes a funny story now, but we were mortified! Luckily, we were moving out, not in!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:57 PM on May. 29, 2013

• No advice, but good luck and be safe.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:05 PM on May. 29, 2013