Seperation Anxiety in Dog

Ok

I have a new pug. He's deaf and oldish (IDK- he needed a home so...)
I am a SAHM and he wants to be with someone, normally me, all the time. No problem. Except for today. I had errands to run and SO had to go to work.

So, ND (New Dog) tore the place up!
I checked out Cesar, and here's the problem:

The dog doesn't like toys, was walked, has a doggy companion (my mean 'ol dog you may remember me talking about)

Ideas?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 5:06 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Pets

• Crating is a good answer, along with time training. Put the dog in the crate, leave the room, and shut the door. Just a few minutes the first time, then a few more the next. Do itonce or twice a day, for very short periods at first, like two to five minutes, depending on how long the dog can go without whining. Leave some quiet music or talk radio on so the room isn't completely silent. He'll start to figure out that you'll be coming back. I had to do this with one of my guide dogs, who had literally always been around someone, never by herself at all. She was neurotic, but she got over it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:00 PM on May. 29, 2013

• put him in a crate while you're away. make it as comfortable for him as possible.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:07 PM on May. 29, 2013

• He needs a small place to feel secure. You could try one of those thunder vests, so he feels snug... or a kennel or small area. Dogs are weird. I have an old guy I adopted too. Apparently he used to ride around with a man who would drive with his arm around the dog.... For the longest time the dog kept nudging my arm. My arms are not that long dude! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:09 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I agree crate him
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:21 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I agree with Josie.

Put him in a larger crate(being a pug this isn't hard). Perhaps try buying a toy that you can put a treat inside for him to work at while you are gone.

He will eventually calm down and figure out that really are going to come back. The crate will also keep him safe so he doesn't accidently knock something over on himself while you are gone
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I agree with the others ^ crate him. He might object but he won't foul the crate if it is a small enough area.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:16 PM on May. 29, 2013

• oh- the crate!
    I had thought about that.
    My mean dog came crate trained so this is going to be new
    i am trying to find something from cesar but coming up empty
    is it different to train an older one to the crate than a puppy?
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 5:12 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Crate him. Honestly I would just leave the door to the crate open while you are home so he can go in and get used to it. Put a blanket or something from the bed in there so he can "smell you" and know that it's a safe spot. Eventually it'll become his "safe zone"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:43 AM on May. 30, 2013