Medication to take for the Flu and Colds while Pregnant???

so I have the flu but all the medication (cough sold for it have warning against taking while pregnant. are there any brands that are safe? or what else can I use that would be of equal effect. im 17 weeks along btw

CountryLover22

Asked by CountryLover22 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• everything has a warning to ask your doctor before taking. I mostly just let it run its course until i got better. But if i was miserable, i took a couple tylenol and that would help the body aches and such. any pharmacy should have a pharmacist on duty. explain all your symptoms or any allergies and ask what they suggest
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 6:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I know that when I get the flu my doctor always tells me to just try to ride it out. lots of rest and eat healthy but when it has gotten really bad she prescribed me medication for it.
    Anonymous

• My doctor gave me a list when i first started seeing her. . .You can take sudafed. . Just the regular kind not the one you have to sign for. also you can take regualar tylenol cold. Just not the box that says for severe colds. . .you'll see what i mean when you look. . .The tylenol cold is the only thing that worked for me. Letting my cold run its course was not an option. i needed help. lol
    mandar

Answer by mandar at 7:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• After getting sick a few times, the nurse said that it was ok for me to take Sudafed just the regular kind and also Robitusson. I used Benadryl to try and get rid of congestion. Vickes Vapor rub was helpful.
    lawstudentmommy

Answer by lawstudentmommy at 7:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The best thing to do is call your Dr.
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The safest thing here would be to call your doctor, explain your symptoms and ask for suggestions. While some medications are given a general go-ahead while pregnant, remember that every woman and every pregnancy is different and what works or is right for another may not be what works or is right for you.

As an aside, I believe some medications are only safe during specific trimesters. My doctor was very adamant about only taking Tylenol/acetaminophen in my first trimester, but told me later in my second that I was clear to take Robitussin DM for a cold. Do yourself a favor and consult your doctor.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 10:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009