Flea Market/Trade Shows?

How many momma's are vendors at Flea Markets/Trade Shows?

I recently met a mom that is a vendor at a Flea Market about 2 hours away from me and she makes her entire living this way......and her small child goes with her and "helps"..

I never did one because I have two smaller children, but she said if they are good one day a week wouldn't hurt and they usually try to help. Just to take a break or so during the day for a nap or go to a restaurant.

I'm now thinking about trying one for my business with my kids (I have absolutely no one who can watch them)... And I was going to set up a little area for my oldest to sell those washable tattoos.. ?

Any suggestions, tips, etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Money & Work

• I'm not right now(moved) but I used to do it all summer long with my son in tow. I lived in a colder state where it wasn't as possible. I didn't quite make an entire living out of it, but the market wasn't great where i was.

Now that I am in a more populated area I may begin doing it again after a while.

My son was 2 when I started. I've known others with kids as well, and if they were real small they would just set up a play pen so the kids could be more comfortable.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:22 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My ex and I used to do it, and it was a ell of a lot of work. But the money was reasonably good, though it varied a lot from week to week. I can't even imagine trying to set up, sell all day, and tear down with two small children running around. It as exhausting even without the kids, and you had the hot weather and the rain to deal with. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Flea markets are great but you have to think ahead. You can start out with all the junk you have around the house and what everyone else gives you but then where are you going to get more. Where do you plan on storing everything when you're not at the flea market? How are you going to haul everything around? Can you and your child handle the heat/cold/rain? What are you going to do if they get cranky?

My dh did them for awhile and we got most of our stuff from storage units. (Then Storage Wars drove the prices up!) The flea markets were work but the storage units were harder and we had to get a dumpster just to get rid of the garbage! Why someone would pay to store some of the stuff they did amazed me. You can find treasures in them but they were few and far between.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:17 PM on May. 30, 2013

• I do a lot of trade shows and craft fairs. If my children were older, I would definitely bring them along if I needed to but they are currently 4 and 5. No way I would bring them right now. But craft fairs have helped build many of my businesses and I LOVE them.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 7:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2013