Homemade Goods?

Do people who make things like candles/soaps really make money?

What do you make and sell?

Could I make an income out of things I make?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you can but you need to check with your state laws if you are going to sell anything that you eat(jams etc.).

I make art. While I make money I don't make a living. Things like soap and such require a lot of work as well as monetary investment. Because you have to get repeat customers to make a true great profit. You have to invest in booth fees at trade shows or markets. Or work to get your product into local stores. Something like that is really a product people like to try out before buying because the pricing is higher then what you normally get a store. So just selling only online doesn't work very well at first.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:40 PM on May. 29, 2013

• How about gift baskets or dog biscuits?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:47 PM on May. 29, 2013

• The biggest thing to think about is weather there is a market or not for it in your area(or where you want to sell it). As well as how much you are going to charge compared to how much it will cost you to make. How are you going to sell them as well.

A large part is going to be dependent on who you are selling it to and how you can get customers.

Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:47 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Thank you. I'm not selling any of that. I was more just curious on what people sell and all of that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:50 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I've seen others sell all kinds of things, soap, candles, dog treats, child's clothes, wood worked items, jewelry.

Some people do really well others don't.

It takes more work then many people realize when they see the boothes.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:46 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My ex used to sell woodcrafts. He could make money over what he paid for the supplies, but his time was another story. For many, it's a labor of love. It's easier if you can get your crafts into consignment shops and fairs as opposed to being there all the time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:40 PM on May. 29, 2013