Garbage disposal

I've always been told that you don't stick anything down the drain/into a garbage disposal when it's running. Hubby looked at me like a sprouted a second head and told me that he's NEVER heard that. This is right after he stuck a wooden spoon down the drain, with the water on and disposal running, and snapped the wooden spoon into pieces.

So, do you, or do you not stick anything down the disposal when it's on?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 7:53 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Just food. Not spoons or other implements. I have heard that you should never run it without running the water, which I always do. I have also heard that you never put anything in there that you couldn't eat.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:55 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I was taught, push the food to be disposed down the drain first.....then turn on disposal and water (from here you can "add" additional things if need be but use a tool to push the stuff to the drain not in the drain so you don't accidentally mince your hand.)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:58 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Me too Kristi. My dad was an appliance repair man for a while when I was young and worked on everything you could think of. I remember him telling me the same things.

Oh well, guess he's gonna go buy me a new wooden spoon now.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:08 PM on May. 29, 2013

• i was taught, if it cant grind it dont feed it
    always run the water
    ice and egg shells sharpen the blades. citrus peels eliminate odors

but putting things in while it's running is ok
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:08 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I was always told food gets added gradually as it runs, water on, NO utensils of any kind, NO fingers!!.............just guide the food to the opening carefully
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:15 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Only food, and I scrape it off the plates and cram it down the drain with one of these.  It also blocks the drain when it's not being used so silverware doesn't fall in, but water still goes down.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:44 PM on May. 29, 2013

• It is ok to add FOOD when it is running Have the water running as you go.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I put food down the disposer when it is running but not utensils unless you want to ruin your silverware or disposer.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:59 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I don't add anything with the disposal running, not even food. I push it all in with the water running, then turn on the disposal and leave it on till it stops making a bunch of noise. If you put anything in while the disposal is on, you risk breaking a utensil or having food debris fly out. I got a bit of pork chop bone stuck in the disposal once and had the dickens of a time prying it free. I'm very careful after that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:33 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Do you throw rocks under the lawnmower while it is running??

Enjoy your new spoon.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:36 AM on May. 30, 2013