Grrr! just when i think this lice thing is almost behind us :(

tonight i found 28 nits when i combed her hair. that's 60 nits total since AFTER i spent 2 1/2 hours combing them out on memorial day. i found 18 monday night, 13 last night. the thing i dont get is, how did i miss 28 of them last night when i combed her hair so tediously!? there are no live bugs so where the hell do they keep coming from?? i mean when it was at it's worse (when i combed for 2 hours) you could grab just a few strands of her hair and see atleast 6 or 7 of them. now atleast, you have to really search through her hair to find them. i just dont get it! is it time to visit a doctor over this, or is this a normal part of the process?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:25 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Kids' Health

• One nit that you don't catch can hatch a live bug and that one bug can lay a ton of nits. Just because you do not see a live bug, doesn't mean they aren't in there. Have you checked everyone else in the house? Because it can transfer from one person to another.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:31 PM on May. 29, 2013

• i know there aren't any live bugs because she's not scratching and as much as ive been combing i would've seen it by now. plus the listerine treatment i did monday killed anything that was alive that still remained. and yes, i gave my other girls a shower tonight and didn't find anything. i dyed my own hair, took a scalding hot shower and flat ironed my hair yesterday.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Did you bag up the clothing and bedding? or wash it?

We've never had to deal with lice (knock on wood), but I've read that you need to treat clothing and bedding as well as heads.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:55 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I usually stay out of lice questions because I can't stop itching while I type my answer. But I will tell you how we got rid of it the time we had it. First, everyone in the house had to wear a hat at all times. That helps them from spreading from one person to another. I vacuumed everything three to four times a day, beds, couches, floors pillows... everything. All lovies except the favorite one was put in black plastic bags and put out in the hot sun, they didn't come back in until the lice was completely gone. Each morning I would wash the sheets, pillow, lovies on hot water and dry them. I would also vacuum the beds, floors and even walls in there rooms. Kids were not allowed to lay on the floor because the floor is worst place to pick them up since they don't jump, once they fall off the head, the move lower and lower to the floor. I had a king size sheet on the couch and changed it at least three times a day, vacuuming
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:04 PM on May. 29, 2013

• it each time. No one was allowed to sit anywhere else until the lice was gone. We did the lice treatment every third day, but picked the nits at least twice a day. It took hours of work each day, but it was worth it because we were completely rid of it within 10 days. Our pediatrician said most cases take 21-45 days to get rid of it.

Be totally vigilant! Boil combs and brushes and keep doing what you are doing. Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:07 PM on May. 29, 2013

• When my sister's kids got lice it took them an entire summer to get rid of them.

Also, could she keep getting reinfected by someone at school?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:08 PM on May. 29, 2013

• It took us months to get rid of them completely. I washed her hair in the tub. Then put a lot of conditioner in. Then combed through with a metal lice comb. I wiped each swipe on a paper towel. I tried to do it 3 times a week. They are really hard to get rid of. If you just leave one tiny egg, they hatch and repeat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Awe, that really stinks. I am not looking forward to dealing with that. My Daughter is still too young for school. I bet it's from the coat closet or on the backpacks at school since they hang them together or lump them up on the floor. I know by me there is a place that you can take your kids, a Company called something like "Fairy God Mother's" & they take care of it with state of the art machines or whatever. I'd call the Pediatricians office & see if they can recommend a place like that. I think they even take Insurance too. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:24 PM on May. 29, 2013

• the are a BITCH to get rid of. HOURS of combing through the hair- and I found that the combs that came with the kit left some nits , so I got the tiniest comb I could find at the pet store and used that instead-it worked better.

Also, you may have to go get a perscription if you can't get rid of them-that's what we had to do. Hair dye does not kill them and mayo doesn't either - at least those things did not work for us.

we also figured out they came from the neighbor so once I put a stop to them playing together we FINALLY got rid of them

Do you know where they came from?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:07 PM on May. 29, 2013

• The problem is that they lay eggs on the hair shaft which is pretty hard to see. They are almost clear and tiny. Here is a home remedy I found on Pinterest.

http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/2012/10/how-to-get-rid-of-head-lice-natural-remedy.html.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:10 PM on May. 29, 2013