Can anyone give me a yay or nay on Percy Jackson the Lightning Thief for a family movie night?

Limited choices, tonight, but we are having a family movie night. This is an option, but we have not seen it. It's rated PG, but I've seen some that I would and some that I wouldn't show my girls. They are 4 and 5.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 8:25 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Entertainment

• My dh saw it and said it is not appropriate because of the violence and the special effects are pretty scary in parts. Plus he said the movie just plain SUCKED...his words, not mine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I enjoyed it and my 12 YO DGS enjoyed it. There is some violence and scary parts especially for 4-5 YO. I would suggest something a little more tame.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:30 PM on May. 29, 2013

• 4 and 5, probably not. I haven't actually seen it, but I've read the book, and it's a little too 'scary,' I would think, for kids that age. It's got Hades, Medusa, and other Greek mythical monsters, or at least in the book.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:30 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My 6 year old hasn't seen it, but we think she's be ok with it. We just watched The Croods in the theater and parts of that scared her a little.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:35 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Oh, and there are some massive liberties taken in the movie that DID NOT happen in the book, or happened differently in the book.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2013

• 4 and 5 I would say NAY. 6 and 7 perhaps
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:41 PM on May. 29, 2013

• It would be too intense and scary for my 6 YO.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:46 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My kids and I watched it...last summer? The summer before? I can't remember exactly. So they were somewhere between 10-11 and 7-8 when we watched it. They didn't get scared, but they've watched Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street and not gotten scared. There is some violence, and there's one scene with the Lotus Eaters that could be compared to drug use, but it's not like someone smoking a joint - more the effects of a drug (I don't want to say too much and give anything away).

My kids, I probably would have let them watch it that young, but I know they don't scare easily and we talk a lot about what we see. I think if you're in doubt, it'd probably be better to with another option until you have a chance to view it without them and make a decision.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yeah, it really depends on your kid. My 7 yo loves it, but not much scares him. I would wait on it till you get a chance to watch it first. It is one of those you really have to see to make the determination.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:12 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Well they do cut off Medusa's head and you see the head go flying so if that is something you don't want your girls to see then no it's probably not OK. But I did enjoy the movie overall and thought they were going to make sequals
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2013