What age should my son not come into women's restroom with me??

My son is 5 and I am terrified to leave him to go to men's restroom alone or have him stand outside the women's restroom and wait for me alone at a public restroom like the grocery store or Target, etc. I have no clue what the etiquette is on this or what the norm is- any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on May. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• 7
    Anonymous

• At least a few more years is fine. I would around 8 depending on where you are. When my boys starting going in the men's room they we t together and I stood outside the door ready to go in if I felt like they were taking too long.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I never had boys. I have girls. I will say. When he starts complaining about going into the girls bathroom. then change over.
    Once I went into the females reastroom. And this boy he looked like 10 was standing their peaking into a stall. I told him to get away from their. His mom came out of a stall said he is with me. I told her he is peaking at ladies.

Answer by louise2 at 9:07 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I always kept a small fold up potty in my car. It worked great. It folded up into the shape of a small rectangle box and used a gallon size zip lock bag.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:09 PM on May. 29, 2013

• DS is 7. I let him go in the Men's room alone sometimes, but I stand right outside and I won't hesitate to go in if he calls. He still has to come in the restroom with me because I don't want him out alone. I try not to need to go while out or find a place that is a one person bathroom or a family bathroom.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:09 PM on May. 29, 2013

• At 5 it's totally fine and it will be for a while still. As for what age to stop, I really don't think there is one magic age when he's safe. It also depends on where you are. My kids are older than yours, and if we were somewhere very crowded like an airport and my husband wasn't around to take them in, I still would take them to the ladies room. Their safety is more important than anything, and I would understand any mother doing the same.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:09 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My Son is 6 & he still comes in with me. I take him into the stalls & I don't care what anyone else thinks. I would NOT leave hm alone to wait outside for me or let him go into a Mens room alone. I actually think if you left him outside alone & you went in you would probably get into a whole lot of trouble. I'll take my Son in with me until he's around 8 or 9 years old unless at that time I feel it's unsafe for him in any way. My kid is well mannered & taught to respect others privacy. He's not a looky loo in the restroom ever!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:14 PM on May. 29, 2013

• My son is 7 almost 8 and I would never consider letting him go alone in the mens room. I'd say 9? Or when he refuses. He's small and doesn't seem to mind.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:15 PM on May. 29, 2013

• consider this would you allow a daughter the same age in the men's room? then why allow a son in the ladies room?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:20 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Depends on the place and the maturity level of the kid IMO.
    At a truck stop, or roadside bathroom my 6 yr old is coming in with me, no question about it. But in our local grocery store I am more likely to let him go in the boys while I go in the girls
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:21 PM on May. 29, 2013