Summer Books for my 6yo Boy

I want to get a series of books to read with my son over the summer, not necessarily something he has to be able to read to me, just something to keep up the reading. What would you suggest?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 9:46 PM on May. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My five year old is really into the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. Granted, there is a little violence in it (it's about warring owl kingdoms), but they're written very well and the theme of guardians who protect the weak and so forth is something I really liked about it. We're just getting ready to start the 10th book (you could stop earlier than that, too, with how the story goes), and he's still interested in it.

I'm trying to think of others... He just started reading Little House in the Big Woods (I read him the Ga'Hoole books before bedtime, a few chapters at a time, and now he'll read a chapter or half a chapter of LH for me during the day). He did well with the first Harry Potter book, but idk how far into the series you'd want to go with one so young (I'm waiting to space them out a little myself). There are others, and I'm having a hard time remembering, lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:52 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Magic Tree House, Encyclopedia Brown, pretty much any series by Rick Rioridan (sp?), The Gaurdians of G'Hoole, if you can find them Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:52 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Magic Tree House was popular with my son and daughter at that age

Answer by missanc at 10:00 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Mrs.Piggle-Wiggle is awesome! I loved those books as a kid. Also Charlie an the Chocolate Factory, although he might need help with some of the words. There's a second book as well, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:00 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I loved The Sideways Stories From Wayside School when I was in elementary school...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:55 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Yeah, pretty much anything by Roald Dahl is awesome (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:03 PM on May. 29, 2013

• This website might help. It sorts the book series by age level or reading level. :)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:28 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Ready Freddy books, Flat Stanley, The Babe Series, Judy Moody or Junie B. Jones (might be too girly), Frog and Toad
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Looking at that site, I'm actually finding tons of ideas for my little guy, haha. So thanks OP, for posting this question because I wouldn't have Googled children's books and found it if you hadn't!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 PM on May. 29, 2013