5 yr old and reading

My DS(5) just started reading. It of course is slow going while he is sound it out and such.

My question is, how often to you have them read to you?

And any tips on teaching reading?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 10:00 PM on May. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• DS reads to me everyday, I also read to him almost everyday. It has slowly gone from me reading everything to him reading almost everything. He still likes me to read to him though. At that age try you read a page and then he reads a page. As he gets more confident let him start reading more and more. I would read with him everyday though regardless of who is doing the actual reading.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 PM on May. 29, 2013

• We bought a few Dick and Jane books that my 5.5 yo reads every night. We just require 1 chapter a day. The books start off very short, and each chapter adds a word or two to the story.

It is slow going, but she is doing well.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:07 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Every day, anything from books to grocery lists to texts from his dad.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:11 PM on May. 29, 2013

• When my son was just starting to read I'd just go to the library and get tons of easy books for him - Eric Carle was his favorite in the beginning. I have also always read to him. At first it was the same book or two every night, something short. But since then I've moved on to chapter books like Harry Potter, Princess Bride. Now it's Ga'Hoole. He still checks out tons of books for himself, too.

Starfall.com has good material that helps. And the LeapFrog videos, he went through a stage where he loved those. They teach how to sound out the letter sounds and all that. But we've always just all been voracious readers, so he caught on early that it was something normal to do. I've always just read to him and encouraged him to read for himself. He's been reading a while now, but I still read to him every night, and he reads to me every day (just started Little House in the Big Woods), and he'll go off and read on his own, too.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:26 PM on May. 29, 2013

• We always did bedtime stories, but as they began to read, we'd have them read the first sentence on a page, then we'd read the rest of the page.....after they'd been reading for a little while, we got them to read the first sentence of each paragraph, then we'd read the rest of the paragraph. Eventually we got them to read every other paragraph, and then whole pages. It was a nice little ritual that I really miss now that they are grown.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Great Ideas guys, thanks. We read a lot together(he just started reading to me). I have picked up some books at the library and the local one has a ton of very easy reading books so I will continue that.

He also does a program called ABCmouse where they help a lot with sounding out and various activities he loves that as well.

Ohwrite: that is a great idea I'll have to do that.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Everyday at least and whenever he wants.. Often I would read on sentence or page and then her (or she) would.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:14 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Well the more he reads the easier it will be for him. The teachers usually recommend 20 mins or reading a day. You can read a page then he can if it helps it go by faster just make sure he follows while you read.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:35 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I suppose mine is a bit behind, but she hadn't been too interested till recently, and I didn't want to push her and turn reading into a negative experience. She's to the point of spelling words for me and asking what they are, like if she sees them on signs or containers at the store. She likes to be read to, and she gets a story every night, plus often more books during the day. I hope she won't be lagging when she goes to kindergarten in the fall.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Ballad she will be fine, there are unfortunately plenty of kids in Kindergarten who's parents don't teach them a thing.

My son just started to really try and read. He has always been decent with his letters and phonics.

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on May. 30, 2013