Question about vision & glasses prescription

ive had glasses for about 6 months now. i have astigmatism but also mostly farsighted. ive noticed lately that when im not wearing my glasses, its even more difficult to read up close than it was before i went and got glasses. is that because my eyes are so adjusted to my glasses, or is my vision becoming worse than it was before? when im wearing them i can see fine- nothing has changed with my vision when i have them on.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:46 PM on May. 29, 2013 in Health

• I have astigmatism, and so does my youngest son. I'm nearsighted, he's farsighted. I got my glasses when I was going into 7th grade, and yes, after a few weeks/months, I needed to wear them all the time (though the doctor had claimed I'd only need to wear them at certain times). Your eyes adjust. You find it easier to see with them on, so when you take them off, you notice the strain and difficulty much more easily than before you got glasses, when not being able to see clearly was your normal. My youngest has had to wear his all the time since he got them, and if he forgets to put them back on after swimming or showering, he'll tell you he can tell the difference. He'll get a headache, which is what usually reminds him to put them back on (assuming I didn't already remind him! lol).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 AM on May. 30, 2013

• Likely it is caused by your astigmatism and since your glasses "correct" that when you wear them you will find it more difficult to focus without them. You will likely feel your eyes "become tired" more quickly without your glasses on as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:48 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Are you close to 40? That's usually around the age where bifocals are needed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:49 PM on May. 29, 2013

• ^^this, no shit
    Been in glasses since 15 and magically on my bd i could no longer see at arms length :(
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:52 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I just got a new prescription for no line bifocals and found the same thing to be true. I went years with the dollar store reading glasses and now that I have a proper pair of glasses I really miss them if I try to read without them. I also have an astigmatism. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:02 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I have bifocals which help a lot. I'm 27, :(
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:46 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Are you pregnant? About 10% of pregnant women experience vision change.

It is quite possible your astigmatism is at play. My brother had to get his glasses adjusted at least once a year in his 30s till he had Lasik.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:27 AM on May. 30, 2013

• not even 30 yet :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on May. 29, 2013

• I have the exact same experience and I've had mine about six months too. I can't see near or far but far is better. I also have an astigmatism. I don't think your eyes are worse, I think it's that the eyes get used to the new prescription. Without them, there is strain back on the eyes again which magnifies the problem.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:40 PM on May. 29, 2013

• Your eyes have become dependent on your glasses. I experienced the same thing.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:45 PM on May. 29, 2013