Doctors appt or NO Doctors appt?

My son is 19m and has a very phlegmy cough. He isn't running a fever, no runny nose, eating and drinking fine, and not acting really tired. He seems to be normal other then this cough. I have been giving him allergy meds and it seems to be working a little and plenty of fluids. He went to the doctor (didn't see his regular doctor) two-three weeks ago and the doctor just looked at him and said it was possible RSV or Bronchitis so he was going to treat him with both. It was different then though because he wasn't eating and was running a fever. He was given an antibiotic. I can hear him wheeze sometimes but when I sit him down for a little while to calm him down it goes away. Could this be asthma related or just allergies or neither? I just feel like I don't get any where going to the doctors office because once the medicine they give is gone it comes back. I don't want my son to stay on medicine every day but I want him to be healthy. Our Insurance is horrible because we have a HSA plan. So I feel like I spend every penny I have at the doctors office.

Update: 6-6-13   I was going to update earlier after I took him to doctors office and so much was going on. But when I brought him everything looked good when doctor saw him. He said lungs were great didnt hear any wheezing. All the coughing a heavy breathing was caused by Bronchial  spasms. He give him prednisone and cough sryup with codeine. I did ask about asthma and he said at his age (19m) they don't like to diagnose it because some cases the child grows out of it. But he said if coughing isnt 80% better by Monday to call back and we will have to take the next step.

However, I did do some research of my own and found that honey and lemon can help with mucus/wet cough. I did try and it did help a lot just  not with the cough.  I've heard many say you aren't suppose to give honey to kids under two. But I asked his doctor and he said that they have changed that to any child under one. So I was good and if that helped my son then to continue two-three times a day.

For those who don't knwo what it is. A bronchial spasm is a sporadic, uncontrollable tightening of the smooth muscle of the bronchi (airways into the lungs). During a spasm, the respiratory airways narrow severely, limiting the flow of air. A sign of bronchospasm is a cough accompanied by wheezing. This condition is often triggered by various stimuli, such as allergens like pollen or other irritants like cigarette smoke. Physical, emotional or psychological stress may also cause bronchial spasms. Viral respiratory infections often bring symptoms of bronchoconstriction as do chronic lung diesease such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis or existing inflammatory conditions, such as asthma.

Femommy

Asked by Femommy at 9:46 AM on May. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• So, he's been coughing like this for at least 2-3 weeks now? I would probably take him in to have him looked over again. If you're not confident in his current doctor, maybe you could try a walk-in clinic for a second opinion?

It might just be allergies, or it might be something else. But without a diagnosis from a doctor, you won't know, and treating for one thing when it's something else won't help and can sometimes make things worse.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:52 AM on May. 30, 2013

• He's 19 months old and really needs to be seen by his Dr. We're not qualified to give advice for your baby.
    plus it's not recommended to give OTC meds for infants.
    I'd spend every penny I had to ensure my child was well taken care of, even if it meant I had to give up everything I had!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:53 AM on May. 30, 2013

• I would call them and tell them what is going on and say that it's the wheezing that has you concerned.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on May. 30, 2013

• It's gotten worse in the pass three-four days. but giving allergy meds keeps the cough down. I can however still here all the phlegm in his throat if that makes any since. We went on a Saturday when his doctor wasn't there. But still when we see his original doctor I feel sometimes we don't get anywhere either. I might just have to take him to a walk in clinic.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 9:55 AM on May. 30, 2013

• Me I would take him in to be seen, or at the very least call ahead and see if they feel he should be seen. Perhaps you can try children's mucinex . Then again if I have to medicate I prefer to know exactly what to give which means taking him in to be seen. Up to you. Sorry can't be much help, but wheezing does concern me as I have one with asthma. I'd rather take him in and it be nothing than not take him in and end up at the ER because he can't breathe or something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:57 AM on May. 30, 2013

• His original doctor tells me he can have allergy meds because he is so big for his age. They always give him a 2-3 year old dose when prescribing medicine. I'm not asking for medical advice. I'm just looking for advice from moms if they have been through this. I'd do anything for my child and never said I wouldn't go back to the doctor. I would never put my child in harms way.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 9:59 AM on May. 30, 2013

• When he is wheezing he doesn't seem to have a hard time breathing. I also have a nebulizer at home if needed. My SS has a small case of asthma. But doesn't use nebulizer any more.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 10:01 AM on May. 30, 2013

• My Son had pneumonia (which is the same as bronchitis but just settles in the lungs instead of the upper respiratory track) in January. He was treated with antibiotics & we went back a week later to check his lungs (which were clear) but he had an ear infection. Treated that with antibiotics. He got sick again 2 weeks ago & started to cough again which progressed to hacking within a week. Brought him in & he had pneumonia again. I asked about asthma also & the Dr. said if he showed signs of weezing with no prior sickness within a year then they classify as asthma. So basically, your Son has been sick like mine so it's not asthma. My Son has seasonal allergies too. Your Son may have pneumonia now since the cough is worse. That is a sign. Is he pale or darkened under his eyes? Bring him in as soon as you can so they can listen to his lungs. If he has pneumonia, you shouldn't suppress the cough, he need to clear his lungs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:02 AM on May. 30, 2013

• He's not pale or dark under eyes. The doctor he did see that Saturday listened to his chest and said everything was clear. Looked in his ears and said they looked good. I always worry about his ears because he likes to stick his fingers in them. He also has a bad cough off and on all the time and has been on antibiotics probably five-six times since born and prednisone three times. But his chest has always sounded get they tell me.
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 10:07 AM on May. 30, 2013

• Sounded "great"
    Femommy

Comment by Femommy (original poster) at 10:08 AM on May. 30, 2013