How do I explain telemarketers to a 3 year old?

The phone rings and she is like "MOM IT'S GRANDMA! IT'S DADDY! WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING IT?"

I know on TV, the cartoon characters always answer the phone and it's always someone they want to talk to.

But- I don't feel like listening to a telemarketing speech for 5 minutes when I already have a crazy life of two kids.

She doesn't get why someone would call us, heck I don't know why they call me or anyone! It's a home invasion.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:00 PM on May. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• Tell her that when she learns to read she will see the numbers and know who it is.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:03 PM on May. 30, 2013

• My daughter had those questions when she was four. I told her the numbers I didn't recognize were strangers and I didn't feel like talking to them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:41 PM on May. 30, 2013

• I would just let her answer the phone. Tell her it is Micky Mouse or Santa and let her talk away! Maybe they will learn real quick not to call your number. :D hahaha!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:02 PM on May. 30, 2013

• I say it's just someone who wants us to buy something we don't need.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:06 PM on May. 30, 2013

• i just tell mine 'it's nobody important'. and remind them that grandma/daddy/etc would call my cell phone to talk to me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:21 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Do you have an answering machine on the phone? Screen the calls and let her hear the voices.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Ahhh- dammit- Kword stole my answer! lol :p Nothing like a toddler babbling on & on to get those types of calls to stop! lol :p If they don't, keep a whistle by the phone & let her exercise those little lungs of hers (unless the baby is napping of course! :p)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:51 PM on May. 30, 2013

• hahaha, mrsmom! Great minds ;)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:53 PM on May. 30, 2013

• hahaha, mrsmom! Great minds ;)
    Answer by Kword 7 minutes ago

^^^That's for sure! And I just saw in the other post that we're both Capricorns :) Those brisk January birthdates must've made us extra sharp! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:03 PM on May. 30, 2013

• LOL, mrsmom! Love it! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:22 PM on May. 30, 2013