Is this price worth it to you?

next friday is my kindergartner's last day of school for the summer. it's an extra early release day at 11:45. the nice gulf beaches are about an hour & 15 or so minutes from my house and id really like to surprise her with a little weekend getaway at the beach after her sisters & i pick her up. the thing is the hotels over there are so dang pricey. there is a beautiful one that has the neatest pool, mini golf inside, gameroom, etc but they are booked up next weekend. they have availability this weekend but it's $129 a night and check in isn't even until 3-4 pm, then you have to check-out at noon. with higher prices, i can only afford to stay one night and that's not even a 24 hour stay. there are also privately owned, smaller, less ritzy hotels that are really apartments turned into rooms for much cheaper prices, but im not sure if they're seedy or not.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:01 PM on May. 30, 2013 in Travel

• oh and the $129 is assuming they'll honor my spousal military ID without my husband present. otherwise it's up there in the $150's.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Try Google mapping the addresses of the others. You should be able to get a look at the neighborhoods and figure out how bad they might be. You can also try searching the names of the others and see what kinds of reviews, if any, come up.

That price is more than I would spend for a one night stay, but the last time I paid for a beach hotel room was when I dated a sailor stationed up in Pensacola, and used to pay about $160 for a 2 night weekend when I'd go to see him. I'm about an hour, hour and 15 away from the beach, too (wonder if we're near each other? lol) and usually when we do the beach, we just leave early in the AM, do the beach, and then head home in the late afternoon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:05 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Yes, I think $129 is a good price. The condos we rented in Hawaii were around $350-$400+ a night. Some were up to $500 on the weekend. I think for a hotel room, anything under $150 is reasonable IF it's nice and clean and has a good pool. That sounds like it would be a really fun weekend!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on May. 30, 2013

• lol- i think we are near eachother wendy! there is a beach nearby that only takes 10 minutes to get to, but it's not as lovely as the pristine gulf beaches. its one of the nasty bay beaches. i suppose we could just make a day out of heading over to the gulf, i just feel like its sooo far lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on May. 30, 2013

• omg- the amenities at my desired hotel are amazing. the pool has a pirate ship/slide and there is a nice playground on site too. its just going to be me with the kids so the more kiddie entertainment the better! plus ive never heard of a hotel with a mini golf course inside, how cool is that? if only it had availability the weekend i wanted it :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on May. 30, 2013

• How about a day trip and no hotel?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:10 PM on May. 30, 2013

• If you are going to go to the beach, IMO it is worth it, to go.
    Not because of a K graduation but because it would be fun for all of you.
    My FIL had a condo that was rented out fr him in Florida. It was very nice and they were well maintained. That is no guarantee. In his it was in the contract that you left the place clean our you had to pay the cleaning crew. A cleaning crew cam in after evry visit but were really there to spruce it up. It depends on what those hotels/ apartments require. That is how I would have gone with my kids. DH and I would go alone and probably stay at a slightly pricier place.
    I suggest you buy as much of the food as you can to make sandwiches and snacks and even breakfast unless it is included. It will cut your costs a lost by being prepared with the cooler and drinks as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on May. 30, 2013

• I'd do a day trip with no hotel.
    Why haul your butt to the beach and then stay inside the hotel??
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:25 PM on May. 30, 2013

• It seems awfully expensive to me for less than 24 hours, but the weekend would be a great memory for your kiddo.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 PM on May. 30, 2013

• That's expensive to me. We are leaving tomorrow for Padre Island after school gets out. I booked a hotel for 50 bucks per night.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:44 PM on May. 30, 2013