Our 2 month old got 5 shots in his legs today- what can we do to relieve his pain in his legs where the needles went??**update**

We have been giving him tylenol but every time he moves his little leg (where he got 3 shots) he whimpered and cries. DH is rubbing his leg right now but is there anything we can do to ease his pain where the needles went in?? :( **everyone keeps saying to quit rubbing his leg but this is the only thing that is helping him and he actually quits crying when my DH does it. This always helped with our older 2 boys also!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on May. 30, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Warm bath... let him kick. The warm water and kicking will help the pain.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:35 PM on May. 30, 2013

• First, stop rubbing his leg! It is in pain. When you get a shot. What do you do? Nothing right? Because you know the pain will go away eventually right? So leave his shot area alone and the pain will go away.

Answer by louise2 at 8:40 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Warm bath, my little man just got 2 in each leg and one in his arm and he was prtty sore all day and napped most of the day with a warm bath before bed.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:43 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Leave him be. Don't rub. Let him go to bed. He'll be fine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:46 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Applying warm compresses might help. But unless the places where the needles went in look particularly red and swollen, it's probably nothing to worry about. All the rubbing may actually be drawing your little gy's attention to the pain.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:01 PM on May. 30, 2013

• When my little ones got their shots, there was 1 shot that the nurses said it would help if we rubbed their legs cuz then it wouldn't be sore the next day. I think it was the tetanus.

Warm compresses and bath might be a good idea. I know it's tough watching them in pain. I always hated when my kids got shots. Here I was supposed to protect them from harm, not hold them down while someone else hurt them. But they get over it and its better than them getting sick.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:07 PM on May. 30, 2013

• I would go with a warm bath. If he objects, get in a warm bath yourself and have DH hand him to you and get him in the bath that way.
    You can even nurse him that way if you BF. That way he has the comfort of momma and the bath.

My Dr.s always told me to rub the site right after any shot to help it move on into the body. He also suggested giving the baby Tylenol right away and not wait until it is sore.

If he is not running a fever the best thing is to get him to sleep even if that means sitting in a lounge chair and dozing that way yourself.
    Sorry for your little guy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Dont rub it. If hes of age rotate tylenol and motrin and give him a warm bath!
    Hopeful_Gam

Answer by Hopeful_Gam at 12:39 PM on May. 31, 2013

• a cold compress & lots of hugs, warm bath a good idea too
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2013