Imaginary Friends

Did your kids ever have them? At what age were they outgrown? Were you ever concerned?

My daughter has had a couple of them over the years, and I never really worried about them. I figured it was just because she's by herself a lot of the time. The first one was Maggie, who was actually my daughter's reflection in a computer monitor she walked by when she was about two. Maggie eventually faded away and was replaced by Tia, when my daughter met a girl with that name in preschool at three and a half. Tia has been around off an on till this day, and I'm wondering when she's going to disappear or if I should do anything to hasten the process.

The thing is, lately my daughter has tried to blame Tia for her own minor misdeeds, like saying something rude or poking someone when she's been asked to stop. Today she even told me that Tia was the one who stomped her foot at me and sassed me when I said it was too windy to go to the pool, so Tia should have to be in time-out instead of her. Needless to say, that trick didn't get her anywhere.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:53 PM on May. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• DS is 7 and still talks about his "ant buddies", he has been talking about them since he was 3. He doesn't have people imaginary friends, he has ants. They don't come up as often anymore so I think he is finally outgrowing this. As for the blaming the imaginary friend, I think a lot of kids do this. I wouldn't necessarily discourage her from having one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:56 PM on May. 30, 2013

• No imaginary friends for either of my kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:02 PM on May. 30, 2013

• My Son had one at around 3 or 4. He said his name was Balentice. Weird name right? Anyway, he soon outgrew it once he started Preschool. He blamed Balentice for things too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:46 AM on May. 31, 2013