Little Lies

My five-year-old has gotten in a bad habit of telling lies lately. Nothing major, but I don't want the practice to become too easy. It started with a kite that she and my stepson took out after I told them not to. Today she said she had her shoes and socks on and went out to play with her friends and ride her bike. When she came back in, I found out she'd gone barefoot. I said that since I couldn't trust her to tell me the truth when I asked, I would have to check her feet with my hands before I let her go outside by herself anymore so she could be safe. I'm afraid she'll step on something and cut her foot or scrape her toes if she falls over on her bike. I suppose it's a little easier for her to lie about some things because I can't see her, but I'm wondering what you all do about the issue in your homes.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:42 PM on May. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• Unless it is something super silly and unimportant (saying he slept on his right side instead of his left, for example, to show how silly and unimportant it has to be), I call my kids out on their lies. And I then question everything they tell me for the rest of that day. They hate it when I won't take their word for something, especially when it's something obvious like "the sky is blue." My youngest was getting into a really bad habit of doing some serious lying for a while, so I gave him the "I can't trust you" treatment for a good week or so. He seems to have finally understood that lying destroys trust and when trust is destroyed, life is really hard. I won't say he hasn't lied to me since then, but I haven't caught him lying. He *seems* to get that being honest with me, no matter what the situation, is far better than lying to me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 AM on May. 31, 2013

• When I was a child we had our mouths washed out with soap. I think I may have done it to my son once. I am more of a what they lied about kind of person. So if she lied about being prepared to go out to play with her friends and ride her bike, I might ground the bike and the next several times she wanted to go out ask her about her shoes and check. Then decide if she is big enough to go out on her own.

I am a fan of running outside without shoes. I have done it all my life. My daughter wouldn't think of it. But bikes are another things.
    I have a story about a bike and a barefoot boy (my brother) if you want to hear it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:49 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Lies are normal. I'll se if I can find a couple of links about why kids tell them and what to do about it. Gimme a few -I'm eating dinner
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:50 PM on May. 30, 2013

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Well have you ever lied to her before? Just saying.
    We are only human. It is very normal.
    Catch her in a lie and she'll feel reprocussions
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 9:52 PM on May. 30, 2013

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:56 PM on May. 30, 2013

• Ok
    So my dad had MS and was in a wheelchair by this time and we had ramps in our house.
    My mother had learned how to drive and was out with my father at their very first appointment with her being the driver. I knew they would stop for lunch ( alone time) My brother was outside and I was inside baking. He of course decided to take off his shoes and ride his bike.. He decided to come in for some reason and instead of coming into the garage with his bike and in through the door, he rode up the ramp. I am not sure why but her decided to ride down the ramp too. One problem The rails were the metal wrought iron kind and he veered to close near the bottom of the ramp. He ripped the baby toe to all but a tiny bit of skin.
    I had no clue what to do as there was no way to get ahold of my parents and no car to go to the Dr.
    I put him in the bathroom with his foot in all the ice I could get with some water and
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:41 PM on May. 30, 2013

• and keeping him calm. He was pretty calmed down and reading a book when my parents came home almost 2 hours later.
    We all got in the car, me driving and off to the Dr.
    Doctors really did stitch you back up in the olden days lol. They had to stich the skin sort of together and not so it could still breathe and kind of taped it. He was really lucky that his toe healed up and he was fine.
    I waited until everyone was safe and sound before I had my nicker fit. I don't remember it, just that I started shaking.
    Stupid kid.

LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 PM on May. 30, 2013

• once it a habit its gonna be hard to break the cycle...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2013

• Sure, although I bet anything it will be an ouch story.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:19 PM on May. 30, 2013