I do not think this teen will drive again, much less own a cell phone ever again, or at least MY daughter wouldn't...

A Calif. officer was seriously injured by texting teen driver...

CHULA VISTA, Calif. — A motorcycle officer was seriously injured Wednesday when his bike was involved in a three-vehicle accident investigators believe occurred as a result of a teen texting while driving.

A newly-licensed driver rear-ended a vehicle, whose 61-year-old driver had stopped to make a left turn, according to CBS 8. 

The impact of the crash caused the man’s vehicle to be pushed into the intersection where Officer Nathaniel Walker was driving his motorcycle.

Walker was thrown from his bike, over the man’s car and into the windshield of the distracted teen driver.

"I don't know how you ever forget something like this," said Captain Gary Wedge with the Chula Vista Police Department. "She's fortunate that he wasn't killed."

Walker was airlifted to a nearby hospital and treated for severe trauma, according to the article.

According to UT San Diego, Walker is expected to be out of the hospital by the weekend.

The 8-year veteran was with about ten other officers on a 190-mile training ride when the accident occurred. He was the only officer injured. 

“Not only is he a good officer but he's a good human being and he will get through this. It's just tragic that it happened,” Wedge said.

The other two drivers — Rex Schildhouse and the 17-year-old girl whose name has not been released — were also taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Charges are pending. 

She is VERY lucky she didn't kill the officer. AS it is, she will more in likely be used as an example to what happens when you text and drive.

This a video that should be a video for high school graduations, proms, the DMV......

http://bcove.me/hpe5aava 

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:24 AM on May. 31, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• There was another recent story about a girl who was driving by herself for the 1st time since getting her license & was killed while texting & driving. I don't know what it will take to get thru to these kids that that kind of crap can wait & to just concentrate on the road. I hope this girl learned her lesson & that all involved make a speedy recovery.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 AM on May. 31, 2013

• It is not just kids
    Just yesterday..a grown woman said to me, as we were waiting to pick up our kids at school
    "Sorry if I am rude for texting in line here", ...I said text away, as long as you are not driving
    She said, she always drives and texts, then gave an example story of bad driving when texting
    Me and another mom scolded her about it
    Idiots , when we people understand the serious nature of driving
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:42 AM on May. 31, 2013

• ^^^^You're right about that fiatpax. My 22 y/o w/ ADD thinks he can do it too. I told him I don't want that phone call! I almost got hit in the parking lot yesterday by an older man talking on his cell phone. I wish people would realize when they're driving a 1 or 2 ton vehicle that any mistake they make could change their lives & the lives of others in an instant.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:49 AM on May. 31, 2013

• what the fuck is wrong with people. Is that text really that important that you will risk your life and not only the lives of other drivers. Put away that damn cell phone!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:09 AM on May. 31, 2013

• My BIL was promoting a program for bikers - that their passengers should always have their phones ready to take pics of drivers who are texting or talking on their cell, and post them online later. I wish it was more than a grass roots idea and that it would take off nationally - and that it can be more than just bikers, but any passenger, could do it.

It should be publicly shamed, like the guys busted for solicitation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on May. 31, 2013

• I was rear ended and pushed into another car in 2010. Her Jeep actually hit the bottom of the bumper, folding it under my Blazer causing it to hop upward. A map fell at her feet, she tried to get it and she didn't see that we were slowing for a construction zone. So she sped up to keep up with what she thought traffic was doing so her foot was on the gas until impact. My husband drives and talks on his cell all the time. I yell at him because he drives a company vehicle for work and a large F-250 when he's home. What saved my butt is that all 3 of us were in the same size SUV's. I can't imagine an accident like that involved with a motorcycle!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:29 AM on May. 31, 2013

• This happened about a mile away from us. The CV officer was up here training. We're kinda out in the country and the roads are pretty narrow and windy. I'm always terrified of some asshole texting on these roads, and this is why!!!! Hopefully it wakes people up.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:37 AM on May. 31, 2013

• It is not only kids who text and drive or are constantly on the cell phone in their car. It is well seasoned drivers and people who are well into adulthood.
    This is an epidemic in America, IMO.
    I think she will have trouble driving a car from her own trauma, but I could be wrong.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:49 AM on May. 31, 2013

• Sorry let me add that she would not be driving and not have a cell phone for a good long while.

DH was nearly killed in a collision with another car, while he was stopped at a light, Hit im right at the driver's door. Yup, on the damn phone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:51 AM on May. 31, 2013

• ppl are so freaking stupid...i wish it was illegal here cause Oklahomans are crappy enough drivers without their phones. throw in texting and its like an idiot parade!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:04 PM on May. 31, 2013